Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok..i tried to weld in 3/4 black pipe in a 55 gal barrel. did pretty good but still have minor leak on each pipe. seems the barrel being thin and the pipe being thicker expands and contracts differently. So during cool down from welding a small pin hole here or there will pop up. Is there and type of epoxy that i can apply to the exterior or interior that will stand up to WVO?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have recently been testing various materials for compatability with biodiesel. A test piece of epoxy fibreglass has shown no deterioration after a week submerged in 100%biodiesel so I would think any epoxy resin or putty should be fine with WVO.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had the same trouble stopping the seepage after welding. What I finally did was braze on top of those welds with a torch, worked like a charm. :)

·
lifetime member
1,642 Posts
i agree with brazing

·
Registered
83 Posts
Man glad my little bro is a pro welder. We welded up a few 1" black pipe nipples and they looked so pretty I almost felt bad covering the drum with insulation.

I think the key was cutting a hole with nice hole saw that was a nice tight fit to start.

·
Premium Member
13,244 Posts
cant you just make a small tack weld where the pin hole is???

·
Registered
250 Posts
Just reweld it, you have to concentrate most of your heat on the thicker pipe & just "wash" the weld over onto the drum. Are you mig welding?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
my buddy welded my barrel and the first pipe sealed pretty quick but the second pipe ended up taking about 6 tries to get it leak free. those barrels are thin and its easy to burn a hole in there! he was cussing at me for asking him to do it! oops sorry bro!

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
What about JB weld?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I thought about that or even solder, but after trying and trying again it finaly sealed!

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
What about JB weld?
I had to JB weld a spot on my reactor tank its been holding good, just need to make sure its supper clean.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts