Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 F-350 6.0 - I recently had to do a new y-pipe as mine sprung a leak at the weldas well as many other places. After I got everything put back together I notice I had a coolant leak. located it at the thermostat housing and noticing its age I went ahead and bought a new kit (t-stat, housing and oring) replaced it and it is still leaking there between the housing and where it mounts. what can I do to stop this leak, do I get some high temp sealant or what?

Thank you in advance for your help.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Most parts stores sell a Water Pump / Thermostat housing gasket maker which is blue. Follow the directions, but it tends to be apply, finger tighten, let sit for an hour, and torque to spec. When you have it apart, check for any cracks in the metal or gouges or warps that is causing the leak.

When I first removed my thermostat for a coolant flush, I did something wrong, can't remember what, and it leaked like a sieve. The thermostat might not be seated the correct way.

·
Love all, Trust a Few...
4,890 Posts
I ALWAYS run a small bead of gray silicone around the exterior side of the oring, that way none gets in the system. Running elc the oring doesn’t last long. If you got an aftermarket tstat take it back out. I’ve seen them fail alot, and they fail closed causing it to overheat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
713 Posts
OEM parts?

If its from a local parts house, its not worth even trying to seal up. Replace with OEM.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts