Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a cracked leaf spring on both my driver and passenger rear leafs on my 1997 F250psd. I'm about to order two new sets of 3+1 leafs. Any ideas or tricks on how to remove the old leafs? Or just a lot of pullin' on the old nuts and bolts!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I never changed a leaf spring on my F350....but on my old wrangler it was pretty much unbolt, remove and install new spring.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Just spray them daily with some penetating oil for 4-5 days and they should come off pretty easy

·
BANNED by Kris
6,317 Posts
2 bolts and two u-bolts each side. Like Eric said, hit them with plenty of pen oil. If the bolts are worn when you pull them don't reuse them. If they are worn replace the bushings on the upper part of the shackle too (might as well do this anyway). Install the hard mount side first, then the shackle side. MIND THE FRAME TO AXLE HOUSING BRAKE LINE WHEN YOU DO THE JOB!. Don't rip it off. Do one side at a time so you can reference the other side.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
also check your spring perches for rust. the rear ones are known for rusting out and breaking if they look iffy when you replace the spring would be the ideal time to replace them to

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for the info.. I'll hit it up this weekend and see what happens. Where could I get some new bolts if my old ones are worn?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts