Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
My answer is that in the long run yes. But immediately No. I know there will be some people that get on here and say they do it all the time and nothing has broken, but I'm sure there are also the ones that tried it once and broke something. First off the transmissions in these trucks aren't the best, and when you hold the truck back by braking at the same time you are trying to accelerate, that stress is going to have to go somewhere, and that is your tranny. Although it may not be noticeable it most likely will shorten the life of your transmission. Second look up some videos of wheel hop. I think Tanks250 has some. That will show you the stress the driveline goes through. Again all the stress has to go somewhere. Now this is all coming from someone who does 4wd launches all the time. I do believe that it is not good for your truck to some extent, but to what extent I do not know. But personally I am willing to take a bit of risk because I didn't buy my truck to drive it like an old man. If your goal is to be fast, then a 4wd launch is almost going to be necessary. One thing I do to help, I don't know if it really does is to make sure I put it back into 2wd as soon as I no longer need the added traction. In summary my feelings are if you aren't prepared to pay for something that might go wrong don't do it, because it could happen.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
i dunno i rarely do it when racing from a stop but i got a 6spd so im not really boost launching

·
Registered
613 Posts
I would assume you have the shift on the fly knob on the dash rather than the lever on the floor. With the shift on the fly you leave your hubs in free and you get 4wd high. As far as I know you only need to lock your hubs in 4wd low and I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want to do that if you were launching and racing since it is only good to 40mph or so.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
i wont lie and say it doesnt hurt..like it was said it has to go somewhere and the trans is gonna take the abuse. when i go out messing around on the street thought..like last night i probably did about 3-4 launches. on average i probably do about 5-10 a month..sometimes i dont even do 1 a month. it just depends on how i feel. and how much trucky likes it.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
my truck u have 2 lock the hubs in or no 4wd

·
powerstrokin
2,857 Posts
what boost pressure are you guys launching at in 4 wheel?

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
ive slipped the clutch once and did a boosted launch and i jsut went 2 6 psi

·
Banned
3,445 Posts
I would assume you have the shift on the fly knob on the dash rather than the lever on the floor. With the shift on the fly you leave your hubs in free and you get 4wd high. As far as I know you only need to lock your hubs in 4wd low and I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want to do that if you were launching and racing since it is only good to 40mph or so.
For the guys with the ESOF switch,..the locking hubs are back-up,..just in case the vacuum lines fail....

It has nothing to do with 4hi or 4lo as far as I've ever heard.

BTW- I launch at around 15psi...but I have a manual tranny.

TANK

·
Registered
7,242 Posts
If you have 4x4, use it. Don't waste time shifting out of 4x4 during your run. The majority of the stress happens long before you even touch the shifter to put it back into 2 so I am told.
If you've got blocks in the back or any kind of axle wrap issues, traction bars are a major help. I've seen morons on 38-40" tires wrap so bad that the tire actually made contact with the front of the fender on the bed and somehow things stayed together!
As with anything you do beyond what the truck was really intended for it will cause accelerated wear, but grenading a transfer case is just so rare. You gotta putting down a lot of power to really hurt them. The trans is likely where you will do the most damage.

·
Banned
3,445 Posts
AXLE WRAP:

For any of you with 36" or larger tires,...YOU HAVE A BUTT LOAD of axle wrap,...you just don't know it

Do a little test....have a friend get in your truck,...while you look at your rear pinion,...tell him to stomp on the skinny pedal....

After your done crying,....get some traction bars....lol

Here's what mine looked like,...I wish youtube had a way to pause the video,...it's much worse than you can see but it happens so fast ...it's hard to completely get the idea.

MY AXLE WRAP

YouTube - axle wrap

AXLE WRAP AFTER TRACTION BARS

YouTube - no axle wrap

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
omg heres he goes again with the whoring! :hehe:

seriously though guys, tank is top notch..really knows his stuff.

and for the question about what kind boost you launch at..the most i ever got mine to go and actually hook was around 15 pounds..i tried about 20 once and it did nothing but spin.

·
Registered
7,242 Posts
Looks like it's still trying, but it's nowhere near as bad with them as it is without them.

·
Banned
3,445 Posts
The difference is amazing...like I said ...I wish you could pause youtube....to see it more clearly.

Because in the first video,..without bars....it goes almost completely verticle.

And with the bars..it only moves about an inch.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
I can't turn for sh!t when in 4hi. Normal?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Yes Darsey it is normal.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
ok cool cuz I was going through a drive thru and felt retarded. lol So when you guys get to the end of the 1/4 you just throw it into 2hi while rolling so you can make the turn to come back??

1 - 20 of 33 Posts