Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for the great information, I have learned so much reading all of the articles. To bad my truck was already torn apart by the dealer ($6,600) and repaired with stock Ford parts before I found the forum. :doh:

We plan to drive down into Latin America next year and are wondering if our 2006 350 4x4 Crew Cab 6.0 would be a good vehicle. We have a 2,600lb camper that the poor thing will be carrying. We are looking to spend a year or two visiting each country. I plan to do the EGR delete, bulletproof oil cooler/pump, tuner, gauges, oil filtration and remove the CAT. I am concerned with the availability of repairs shops and parts in South America if we break down.

I also wonder if the diesel in these parts of the world will give us any problems, I'm not sure what kind of diesel fuel they are using. I'm thinking with the EGR and the CAT gone I might be OK? Maybe I need more fuel filtration as well :dunno:

The roads are bad in some places do I need to beef up the suspension. The truck has South Dakota plates so smog is not an issue, yet. :)

Thanks for any information that you have.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Sounds like a dream of a trip. I would definitely check out Carli suspension. Their kits are meant for off road work as opposed to just a "lift" kit.

I guess I would do everything bulletproof wise here in the U.S. at a reputable shop. ARP's, delete, oil cooler, etc. and try to make sure everything is in tip top shape before you set out.

I don't know anything about the quality of fuel you'll find, but it may actually be better in terms of sulfur content as they don't have the same ECO concerns as we have here in the U.S., but honestly I have no idea.

It may be wise to have some extra parts, belts, filters, oil, a couple extra injectors, anything that's easy to carry, but might be difficult to find.

I'd carry a manual in some format either electronic or paperback. Maybe figure out in advance where there are reputable places to service your truck along the way if it comes to that. This way you know at any point how far you are from the next available service location. Hopefully it will never come to that.

Sound like an awesome trip though.:thumb:

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
When you are traveling like that it really pays to be as self sufficient as you possibly can. For the most part the 6.0 isn't really that hard to work on and I suggest you learn as much about working on it as you can. We are always here to help. I would add additional water separator and 2 micron fuel filters along the driver side fuel rail. Using standard heavy equipment spin on filters will keep your ford filters from needing replacement and will be easier to find on the road.

I wouldn't be too concerned about not having head studs but unfortunately dealers tend to follow the Ford specified procedures when doing head gaskets and the do not adequately check or prepare the heads most of the time. The heads should have been sent to a machine shop to be checked for cracks and decked to ensure a good seal. Hopefully you have time to find out if it is solid before you head out.

Remember, drug smugglers love these trucks.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Bullet resistant glass to get through Mexico? Just kidding, but you do got to think about safety too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, thank you good advice from all. I guess I could use some filters from Napa they should be easier to find. So no problem with the injectors or fuel system with the higher sulpher content fuel?

·
Registered
189 Posts
i've got relatives down in the valley, and they recommend to not take a nice rig into mexico due to car-jacking and theft. it doesn't make the news unless the gringos get killed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts