Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I get my spare tire off? I cant get it off, it looks to me as i need a special tool that goes on the end of my jack wrench. Is this true? I dont have any manuals for it and im guessing this spacial adapter is either hidden or lost.

Thanks for the help/suggestions/thoughts/home made tool ideas.

Orion

·
Premium Member
14,491 Posts
I think.... again think, you use the tool that is mounted under your hood and stick it through the opening which should be right by your rear license plate in your bumper......

·
Registered
553 Posts
ya its under the hood. part of the handle that you use on the facotry jack

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ive tried all that. The part that the under the engine tool slides into looks almost like a star.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
yea on the 2000's you have you pull the bed off the truck, sorry man.

no the tool will really work

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well i tore the glove box appart and the "key" that I need to take my spare tire off some how fell behind the glove box. Thanks for the replys. Do none of yall need a key to take your spare tire off? WTF is up with my truck, glad i found that thing.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
There is a "key" similiar to something you would find for lug nuts. It should be in a bag in your glove box. Its about 3 inches long, silver and fits on the end of the tool that goes in the hole.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Yep the first time taking it down is a pain. Maybe even the second time if you forget about that stupid key.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have a key, it's rather unnerving when a tire has been slashed at a bar, your drunk and your trying to figure out how the hell to get the spare tire, pissed cause someone slashed it, even more pissed cause you can't drive your baby cause you've had a few too many.

·
Premium Member
9,097 Posts
Mine requires a key as well.

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,020 Posts
Mine used to need a key until I pulled the lock out.

If anyone needs a new key, go to a dealership that has a master set of keys(there are 15 different ones, that's right yours will probably not fit your buddies truck) Get them to let down your tire and figure out which key they used. Then call McGaurd with that #. That is the company that makes these locks for Ford. You can order a new key through them for $20.

OR....do what I did

Get the dealership to let the tire down. Remove the winch. Remove the lock. Reinstall the winch. Reinstall the tire and never worry about it again.
FYI...The lock just prys out of the end of the winch easy as can be...I have a pic of it removed if anyone wants to see it.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Without the lock in there it's just a rectangular slot, about 3/8" by 5/8" or so. My early 99 didn't have a lock on it, and getting the let-down tool to "bite" was a pain because it wanted to slip. My spare tire winch gave up the ghost, and I got one from an 02 with a key and plan to leave it that way. If you get in a bind and yours is slipping like mine did, a 3/8" ratchet drive fits in there and won't slip- you could probably jimmy one on the end of the factory tool some how to get the tire down.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Thats what i did. but i didnt have the key when i bought the truck so i just took the bumper off and got at it with some vice grips. Those keys suck.

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,020 Posts
If this pic works i'll post more...sorry they were from a cell phone. I don't have any pics of the winch with it removed, just the lock removed..

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,020 Posts
Here's some more

1 - 18 of 18 Posts