Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to pull this weekend for the 1st time and I am constructing some ladder bars. I have a few questions about them. Are most ladder bars adjustable or can you make them just one length and pin them up? I am only using these when I am at the pulls, so I want to make them quick attach, that way I can throw them on when I get there. Any Info or ideas would be appriciated Thanks Dusty

·
Registered
568 Posts
Most ladder bars are adjustable meaning you can easily change the pitch of the bar using a double adjuster. These adjusters are just fluf, you dont really need an adjuster if you install the bars correctly the first time. Ladder bars typically work against your suspension, your suspension wants to go straight up and down and ladder bars want to direct your suspension in an arc about the front pivot point of the ladder bar. This creates a bind and many people that install bars wonder why their suspension is rock solid and rigid. This is because the slight arc motion of the ladder bar is fighting your up and down travel of your suspension. The purpose of the ladder bar is to eliminate axle wrap or rotation. This being said the proper way to install a ladder bar is to have a shackle mount in the front, not a solid mount. The shackle mount allows the bar to move forward and back just a little bit and eliminates any bind caused by the arc motion of the bar but still stops the axle from wraping or rotating. If your only going to install the bars for drags and you want a solid front mount you will get the best results by making your front mount parallel with the axle to the ground, this way the arc more closely matches the up and down of the axle.

hope this helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts