Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
96 7.3l psd 4x4 recently i fill both fuel tanks and about a day later the truck started to run crappy.. the engine idle fine i think but when i pull out an drive it down the road and shortly afterwards the engine starts to bog down with no power if i step on the pedal i notice that blue smoke comes out of the exhaust. sometimes if the truck bogs down really bad and i pull over to the side of the road the engine stalls out, i sits there and wait for about 1-2 minutes and the engine starts again.

i changed the fuel filter and air filter but no luck still have the problem..please some advise will be helpful
thanks rob

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
well filters is where i would have started other than that i have no idea hopefully somebody will come along that can help you better than me lol sorry about the problems

·
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER
5,877 Posts
Can you have the codes pulled on it?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
yea that would help alot cause it almost sounds like bad fuel or a bad injector but i could be completly out of the ball park

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i hadthe truck scanned for codes and it came up with p0221 and po340 i replaced the cps sensor and still no change its starting to really bug me ..pleased help anyone!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i tried to replace the throttle pedal sensor but apparently they dont make it anymore you have to buy the whole pedal assy at 700.00 i said WHAT!!!!!

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
i know im not much help but in one of the sections there should be a bunch of the common codes so you might want to get into that and are you sure that there isnt anything restricting your air intake i mean i know it sounds dumb but i dont know what else to tell ya

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
you may have water in your fuel, or injector problems. since you have changed the filters i would drain the fuel and put some new fuel in it from somewhere else and that might help-idk
good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
96 7.3l psd

one question about cleaning the fuel regulator screen ?
i took the 2 -10 mm bolts off and i pull away the regulator from housing ...what is the bottom tube that connects the regulator it looks like its on the bottom of a bowl like thing...mine came out and i pushed it back in nothing seems to be leaking is this ok? my sceen was really plugged as i was cleaning the screen it popped out and i cleaned it with gumout also the hole thats in the housing on the other side of where the screen goes was almost plugged too. i have never cleaned this at all and the truck has 81,000 miles on it...lol

·
Registered
517 Posts
That is a return line and the little bowl just sits down on that tube. The bowl has an o-ring in it (you can`t see from the outside) to stop any leaks. I think the stuff you cleaned from the screen is probably from 0-rings and probably injector 0-rings which would make your truck run as you described. But since the codes read differently it may not be. On the throttle pedal switch try IH if Ford doesn`t have it. On the CPS even though you replaced it, have you checked it. It may have a short or open/grounded circuit. Get in the truck and crank it over and if the if the needle on the RPM meter (tach) doesn`t move a little bit the CPS is not working..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i have read that putting a 3/16" ball bearing in the fuel pressure regulator will make the truck run better...is this true and where do you place the bb? do you drop it in the hole of the regulator and then put back the triangle adapter and spring in afterwards then seal it with the plug?...will this work in my truck?

thanks rob

·
Registered
517 Posts
Yes, it will work in your truck. Use a regular bb like from a kids bb gun You need to check the pressure after installing the bb. If your truck is chipped you will need to put a gauge on the shraeder valve to check the pressure often . Anything from 40 psi (factory setting) to 70 psi at idle is OK anything over that remove the bb.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
everything is factory settings no chip performance,
so i guess the pressure will be fine?
i need to pick up a gauge to really check it.
also when i cleaned the fuel regulator screen the plastic plug in the regulator snapped in half but its still in there (both halfs) for the time being ,,,a new one will be here tuesday i hope. should i be concerned till then?

·
Registered
517 Posts
The plastic plug should be OK as long as the screen is clean. Make sure the 0-ring is on it. You can order a FP gauge from JEGS for about 15 bucks and mount it on the shraeder valve permanently with a couple 1/8 brass fittings

·
Registered
2 Posts
96 7.3l psd 4x4 recently i fill both fuel tanks and about a day later the truck started to run crappy.. the engine idle fine i think but when i pull out an drive it down the road and shortly afterwards the engine starts to bog down with no power if i step on the pedal i notice that blue smoke comes out of the exhaust. sometimes if the truck bogs down really bad and i pull over to the side of the road the engine stalls out, i sits there and wait for about 1-2 minutes and the engine starts again.

i changed the fuel filter and air filter but no luck still have the problem..please some advise will be helpful
thanks rob
i hope that you solved the problem but this same thing happend to my 97 a couple years ago and it ended up to be the fuel pump!! the old pump just couldn't keep up with the required pressure.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
could be related to the MAP sensor.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
problem was resolved by replacing the fuel pump...as soon it was replaced the power was resupplied just like its suppose to be. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
if i recall its about $100 at autozone the job entails removiing the whole filter housing...replace all the hoses ( the right type of hoses too) that connect under to the housing and to the fuel pump too. the toughest part of the job is removing the bango bolt from the fuel pump, its even harder to put it back on, but if your a patient man you can do it without removing the turbo pedastal and turbo dont forget or lose the washer that goes around the bango bolt because it will leak diesel fuel without it. good luck rob

1 - 19 of 19 Posts