Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would you knock out the DPF or go delete pipe? Keeping the truck and probably wont get warranty when I get a tuner so a visual check by DOT is all I worry about.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I would not gut the DPF for any reason. The internals of it cost a few $$grand$$!!

·
Registered
589 Posts
lets see 350 for a bolt on pipe that can be removed if need be for warranty work or blow the guts out of a 2000 dollar plus pipe that if they see you killed it you loose warranty and cant return the computer to stock because the truck will go into constant regen. let me ask my friend the brain surgeon what he would do thats to complex for me.

·
Registered
800 Posts
lets see 350 for a bolt on pipe that can be removed if need be for warranty work or blow the guts out of a 2000 dollar plus pipe that if they see you killed it you loose warranty and cant return the computer to stock because the truck will go into constant regen. let me ask my friend the brain surgeon what he would do thats to complex for me.
Brain surgeon here, specializing in frontal lobotamies.
I say gut the DOC right now.:thumb:.
Don't listen to all of this logic here....

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lets see DOT pulls you over but you tell him not to look under the truck until you run home and change into your DPF or you take it in for srevice and youre denied because a tuner has been installed but youve changed into your DPF anyway for nothing. Does youre brain surgeon charge much?

·
Registered
800 Posts
If you install a tuner, don't you think your dealer will know anyway?
It's a trade off.
There is no winning here.

The smartest way is to buy a DPF delete pipe and leave your DOC installed. The conversion would be quick.
I did the whole DPF/DOC thing, and I'm not changing it back..... Too much work. I'll just be square with my dealer and I'm sure we'll have no problems unless I create one by beating the tar out of the truck. I drive like an old man, so I'm willing to take the risk.
I wouldn't worry about the DOT messing with a pick up truck. They have much more important work to do, like messing with truckers log books and brake adjustments..

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hey fordfish, I have been thinking the same thing about gutting the cat/dpf. My F-350 is used for my landscaping business and in NY if your truck/trailer weighs over 10,001 lbs you need a DOT number on the truck. So anytime the DOT guys are out doing inspections I have to stop, the guys that just use their trucks for pleasure don't have to stop. If they see the factory emissions were modified the first fine is $700. So at least if everything is gutted it still looks stock. My truck has 4000 miles on it and just had the first oil change done. While it was there I was talking with the service tech about programmers. He said that as long as it was removed before I brought the truck in for any warranty work that they can not tell it was there. So I wonder if anyone has gutted both of them and how hard of a job it was. I need to do something... 11 mpg @ $5.09 a gallon today is killing me :(

·
Registered
800 Posts
I guess simple common sense tells me that the DOC is worth a couple of grand. The DPF is worth $2,700.00
That's almost $5,000.00 after sales tax in total guaranteed cost to prevent a potential $700.00 fine.
I like the way you guys think.:tard:

Divide the fine into that guaranteed replacement cost number and violet'..
Again, I don't think we need to call in the brain surgeon to make this decision. He may not find a thing..

·
Registered
589 Posts
wheres that guy that made the delete pipe that loocs like a dpf. if your worried id call him.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
wheres that guy that made the delete pipe that loocs like a dpf. if your worried id call him.
His name is supercharged....

I would NOT gut my stock parts...they are COSTLY!

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Yeah, talk to Justin (TwinTurboStroker) before you gut it, he has the prices on how much it would have cost him to replace it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I wouldn't gut the factory stuff either, in a few years you will be able to sell it to someone who is out of warr. and has a bad one, you might even get the cost of the tunner and pipe out of it. Most people want everything stock, company trucks will also stay stock. I plan on changing the pipe, just haven't decided if I want stainless, aluminized steel or the factory looking one.

·
Premium Member
17,841 Posts
Yeah, talk to Justin (TwinTurboStroker) before you gut it, he has the prices on how much it would have cost him to replace it.
You mean Julian? :)......the DPF cost just over 1400 bucks and the cat is another 1100, so your just north of 2500 bucks for the whole combo :doh:.....its a tough call, if your not worried about the warranty but you are worried about DOT, then by all means gut it. 2500 bucks in a one time deal where as DOT can keep writing those $700 plus tickets. Also lets say you HAVE to take it to the dealer for something, if the tech just glances under there and sees the shell, then you might get away with something like radiator, a/c or something no directly motor related.......but again its a tough call

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
^so, did you gut yours? if so, why buy another one, or did you? Yes, I am more worried about visual inspections... I think knocking out JUST the DPF would be fine, because diesels have had the cat's on them for some time..given it's the same TYPE of cat that has been used, I don't see that much a restriction from that as I do the Filter.

·
Premium Member
17,841 Posts
^so, did you gut yours? if so, why buy another one, or did you? Yes, I am more worried about visual inspections... I think knocking out JUST the DPF would be fine, because diesels have had the cat's on them for some time..given it's the same TYPE of cat that has been used, I don't see that much a restriction from that as I do the Filter.
Yes I gutted my mine like a :tard:.......I was looking to buy one because I was the first on the site to straight pipe 6.4 back last year and the truck was down for 2 months so I priced a DPF and cat and :doh:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes I gutted my mine like a :tard:.......I was looking to buy one because I was the first on the site to straight pipe 6.4 back last year and the truck was down for 2 months so I priced a DPF and cat and :doh:
So you want to sell your gutted combo?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Would you knock out the DPF or go delete pipe? Keeping the truck and probably wont get warranty when I get a tuner so a visual check by DOT is all I worry about.
I just gutted mine due to the fact the I stay in Sacramento/San Francisco California and I've seen/heard that CHP will or can pull you over to check if you have the DPF or Cat. If they see you have a straight pipe under there, they will impound your vehicle and give you huge amount of fine. (ticket) And that can cause more than buying a new DPF and Cat. So long story short, I gutted my original factory pipe and bought a new one for warranty. BTW, I'm still not 100% sure if my warranty is voided or not.....I guess I'll find out when I blow something up.:) "knock on wood" Good luck.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
^ there you go....how much was the new set up?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Honestly, if a cop, inspection agent, or mechanic knows what a DPF is they are going to know how quiet the exhaust of these trucks are supposed to be. Once you remove the sound dampening of the DOC and DPF the sound of the truck goes from a hairdryer to sounding like a big block V8 with a jet in the background, not to mention the smoke produced. Not to mention, if you take it to a Ford mechanic that can't tell if the internals of the exhaust has been removed just by the sound, do you honestly want that guy working on your $17,000 motor? I sure as hell wouldn't.

If all you're worried about is warranty, go talk to your service manager. I've let mine know exactly what I've done to my truck every step of the way. He's even driven it harder than I have. And as long as I don't blow it up he's OK with it. A lot of these guys are willing to work with you to some extent, you just gotta be honest with them.

My :twocents::twocents:

·
Registered
354 Posts
I'd watch out what you start removing. It used to be easy to get away with chopping all the emissions junk away, but I've seen DOT getting a little crazy with it lately. In the last three months I've seen two mobile smog checks in the Stockton, CA area. Its just like a sobriety check point but for your car. Never thought I'd see it but now its happening. They're also dipping tanks for red dye, same style check points and its a nasty fine. I also had two friends get tickets for "blowing smoke", evidently its gross polluting. Ripping all that stuff off might not be worth the 1 mpg you might get anymore.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts