Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an intermittent issue with the front of my truck. About every other week when making a right turn sort of tight but not always I fill a klunk or a jump in my front end. Then it will pull to the right. After a bit it goes away or sometimes a hard turn left and it goes way. But it doesn't klunk back when it goes away. Example: It did it again last night. Came up to a stop at an intersection to make a right turn. Made the turn and mid turn I got a loud klunk which felt to be the LF and the truck started to pull to the right. I looked out the window half expecting to see the tire leaned in and it wasn't. Pulled over and looked underneath and found nothing out of place. Started driving again and the pull was gone.

The truck has newer balljoints, all tie rods, and even TTB bushings. I have new tires and they show NO uneven wear and I have done the alignment on it and its damn near perfect. I jacked it up and could get no play out of anything, and had the wife jerk the wheel back and forth while I looked underneath at all the bushings and joints etc.. I have checked the spring mounts at the frame for cracking and everything else I can think of. My only thought is that is could be the steering box.......

This thing is :doh: :dunno:

·
Banned
3,771 Posts
mines not an OBS but i've been getting a similar noise while backing up and turning, sounds like a kerplunk if you wanna call it that. i think its something in my steering box too.

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
If it was the steering gear you should feel something in the steering wheel when you hear the klunk.

Sounds like something maybe binding up and then breaking free.

·
Registered
1 Posts
look under your truck at the Twin I-beams where they mount to the frame (cross member). Look at what is called the "Axle pivot bushing". Often these will wear out, and you may not know it. However, when you put stress on the I beams from turning sharply by backing up or going forward, it will allow the I beams to bind up and make your steering geometry go crazy. Another good way of checking is to jack the front end off the ground and push the rear of the tire in toward the truck while looking at the I beam. If I beam moves back and forth, you have a bad bushing. $14.00 at orielly's.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think its the LF axle joint, I used the 4wd today and the LF had crazy wobble in the tire itself looking out at it and in the steering wheel and I could barely turn the truck while moving with the hubs locked.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Replaced both axle joints.....(outers) they had siezed caps. Every now and then when I would make a turn it would be hard to turn then violently klunk and then I would have a bad pull to that direction for a bit. Or after the klunk I would have a violent wobble for a few seconds. The joints were so tight that with it in the air and the hub locked and the wheel every so slightly turned away from straight I could not with all my strength rotate the tire.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts