Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a klunk when I take off and if I don't shift smoothly for about the last 1000 miles, that I have noticed. It has not gotten any worse and I could not find anything loose in the U-Joints or center bearing so I took into a garage that does most of my work. He greased the center spline and also could not find any problems behind the transmission. He thinks it is in the transmission. He doesn't get into that kind of work and recommended the local dealer as having a good transmission guy. I have an appointment for Thursday.

Any guesses?

I keep wondering if I lost a spring from the dual mass fly wheel and it is chucking.

Truck has $69K miles, I have only owned it for 4K. It looks like the original owner used it to tow a 5th wheel at least part of those miles.

Jeb

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well I got the truck back from the dealer this afternoon. They took it for a ride and declared it normal. I told them that the other garage had already checked everything behind the transmission. They even talked to the mechanic that did the earlier work. They told me it was a normal amount of play for the 6 speed and not to worry about it.

The said they rebuilt a 6 speed that was under warranty at the insistence of the owner a few years ago with the same klunk. Put in all new bearings and wear parts and it still klunked when they were done, but the owner was happy.

I asked if it could be the dual mass flywheel and they said no, if that was going bad I would know it.

They said I had the most bullet proof SD drivetrain combination I could own and to just enjoy it. So I guess I will, till someone tells me otherwise.

Jeb

PS: I forgot, the big surprise. Total cost at the dealer $0. My regular garage charged me $38 for there part. They actually took the driveshafts down and checked play and repacked the center spline grease. Got off pretty cheap considering I was fearing a multi-thousand dollar repair.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts