Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy just picked up an 04 F-350 Dually with 297,000 miles Non running for $7,000. We replaced the FICM and she started. Poured out white smoke/haze so we deleted the egr cooler. Smoke is completely gone now. Not a bad truck for the $8,000 he now has invested.....

But when you 1st start moving she's sluggish but you can feel her pickup momentum about the time she shifts into 3rd. It has a K&N intake with a filthy filter. Could the dirty filter be the issue? Did we do something to the turbo when we removed it to get to the egr cooler? She idles great and sounds just like my 6.0 that has 200,000 less miles. One other thing; It has a 4 inch exhaust going about half way back then it turns into a 5 inch, not sure of the reasoning there. No cat or muffler.

Any idea's fella's? He's going to clean and re-oil the filter tonight.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, we left the egr valve in place and plugged in, is there anything we should have done with it?

·
Super Moderator
31,730 Posts
Clean the air filter. Also did you check for play in the turbo when you had it out.

How did you delete the egr?

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We left the egr valve there. Took out the egr cooler, cut the end off and welded it up and clamped it back onto the up pipe. Heli arced a tube on the manifold and used a pre curved heater hose to re-route the coolant.

Should we do soemthing with the egr valve?

Also, how do you check the play in the turbo?

·
Super Moderator
31,730 Posts
Unplug it at a minimum. Without custom tuning it still opens and closes unless its unplugged

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unplug it at a minimum. Without custom tuning it still opens and closes unless its unplugged
What difference does it make? There isn't any exhaust in there now?

·
Super Moderator
31,730 Posts
What difference does it make? There isn't any exhaust in there now?
Yes but with it being able to open and the PCM not seeing what it expects to see when its open. It could very well cause your concern

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes but with it being able to open and the PCM not seeing what it expects to see when its open. It could very well cause your concern
Gottcha, I'll have him unplug it.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Again, this doesn't make sense to me...........

·
Super Moderator
31,730 Posts
By doing what you did you stopped it from entering the EGR cooler. The valve still opening and closing still allows the gas to enter the intake and approach your welded block. Over time the welded block depending on what you used can heat and deteriorate and you are back in the same boat as when you started. By eliminating the valve entirely. You stopped any chance of that happening

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
But we blocked the exhaust flow to it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
i did the exact same delete technique you did. And i left my egr plugged in and in place. All i got was a code for insufficient flow to egr, which is expected. NO check engine light no nothing. All is fine..
also mine is an 04.
lmao about the comment that boost will open the egr valve,,, omg where ever will the boost go.. NO WHERE....the egr opens opposite the boost direction (since there isn't any exhaust getting to the other side)..
sometimes i wonder if these people actually work on there own trucks..

·
Super Moderator
31,730 Posts
i did the exact same delete technique you did. And i left my egr plugged in and in place. All i got was a code for insufficient flow to egr, which is expected. NO check engine light no nothing. All is fine..
also mine is an 04.
lmao about the comment that boost will open the egr valve,,, omg where ever will the boost go.. NO WHERE....the egr opens opposite the boost direction (since there isn't any exhaust getting to the other side)..
sometimes i wonder if these people actually work on there own trucks..
I hate to say it but you are wrong. The pressure can open the valve even if its unplugged. And thats straight from SEVERAL techs mouths:tard:

·
Registered
60 Posts
like i said,, where will the boost go?
NO WHERE IT IS BLOCKED, as the egr cooler has been totally eliminated!!!!

Dave have you personally did an egr delete?

·
Super Moderator
31,730 Posts
like i said,, where will the boost go?
NO WHERE IT IS BLOCKED, as the egr cooler has been totally eliminated!!!!

Dave have you personally did an egr delete?
More than one actually. The method where you weld a plate or frost plug in the factory scoop has also been known to fail. Because over time the thin plate wears because of the heat

·
Registered
60 Posts
ok well, if you reread this post you will see that he eliminated the egr cooler completely. And rerouted the coolant with a pre bent hose. Therefor if his welded flange does fail, it won't go back into anywhere, except the atmosphere and sound like a really bad exhaust leak under the hood. The egr side of the cooler was also blocked, therefor if the boost happens to push through it will go nowhere..

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok well, if you reread this post you will see that he eliminated the egr cooler completely. And rerouted the coolant with a pre bent hose. Therefor if his welded flange does fail, it won't go back into anywhere, except the atmosphere and sound like a really bad exhaust leak under the hood. The egr side of the cooler was also blocked, therefor if the boost happens to push through it will go nowhere..
BINGO :thumb:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts