Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 6.0 and don't know if I am fighting electrical gremlins or if I am fighting fuel or air issues. I finally got back to trying to figure out what is wrong with the truck and wanted some opinions on where to start. Last I fooled with it, I cranked it, and just let it idle. It was about 20-30 minutes and it's almost like it choked itself down. It was idling fine, cycling fine and not overheating, and slowly the RPM's fell until it fell to a point that it killed itself. I was driving it prior to this attempt and I would slowly lose power, until the point it died as well. There was no pep in the throttle when I got into it. I am starting to think its either a air breathing problem, or somewhere between the fuel sending and top end. The truck does have dirty electrical leads going to the battery and I will be replacing those tomorrow to ensure good quality terminal connections. I have over 200K miles, it has been used as a truck should, and has over heated in past long haul trips, when this happened I would pull over and let it rest, Battery leads do have good connection, voltage is sufficient and stays above 12.4V. Can anyone possibly point me in a direction of where to go? ICP, TPS, fuel pump, idle air controls?

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
I have a 2003 6.0 and don't know if I am fighting electrical gremlins or if I am fighting fuel or air issues. I finally got back to trying to figure out what is wrong with the truck and wanted some opinions on where to start. Last I fooled with it, I cranked it, and just let it idle. It was about 20-30 minutes and it's almost like it choked itself down. It was idling fine, cycling fine and not overheating, and slowly the RPM's fell until it fell to a point that it killed itself. I was driving it prior to this attempt and I would slowly lose power, until the point it died as well. There was no pep in the throttle when I got into it. I am starting to think its either a air breathing problem, or somewhere between the fuel sending and top end. The truck does have dirty electrical leads going to the battery and I will be replacing those tomorrow to ensure good quality terminal connections. I have over 200K miles, it has been used as a truck should, and has over heated in past long haul trips, when this happened I would pull over and let it rest, Battery leads do have good connection, voltage is sufficient and stays above 12.4V. Can anyone possibly point me in a direction of where to go? ICP, TPS, fuel pump, idle air controls?
We need data. Sounds like possibly a HPO leak or failing HPOP that gets worse as the oil heats and thins.
ICP%
ICP voltage
IPR
EOT when these readings are taken
FICM V

That will give a start. Otherwise everything is a total guess.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We need data. Sounds like possibly a HPO leak or failing HPOP that gets worse as the oil heats and thins.
ICP%
ICP voltage
IPR
FICM V

Understood. I'll get ahold of that tomorrow once the suns out and it's not blisteringly cold. I'll post the results ASAP.

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
Understood. I'll get ahold of that tomorrow once the suns out and it's not blisteringly cold. I'll post the results ASAP.
If possible maybe a video showing the live data as it is happening. Post video to YouTube and the link back here. If not just post back with the data.

Reactions: jokester00

·
Compression Ignition Addict
10,192 Posts
Staying at 12.4 when the truck is running isn't a good thing.

+1 on PCM data. Also need a thorough scan for codes (ie ForScan is recommended).

·
Premium Member
8,411 Posts
Fuel pressure should be checked -- it sounds like just running out of fuel slowly

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ICP%
ICP voltage
IPR
FICM V

Any thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fuel pressure should be checked -- it sounds like just running out of fuel slowly
Fuel pressure appears to be fine,
Staying at 12.4 when the truck is running isn't a good thing.

+1 on PCM data. Also need a thorough scan for codes (ie ForScan is recommended).

scanned it this evening with a snap op scanner and it’s not throwing any codes

·
Compression Ignition Addict
10,192 Posts
What did you use to determine fuel pressure?

·
Registered
116 Posts
What Bismic said. Also is there anything going on with the exhaust, if you still have the cat you could be chocking from a clog there, is there water in the fuel /water separator, how is the fuel filter? Are there any strange smells as it chokes out?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts