Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

My unit has been acting funny for a while now and I am considering replacing it with a new OEM. There are times it will work, other times it will not so I repeatedly enter the code. There are times I have to lock the doors using the two right buttons depressed together, then unlock with the code....then it proceeds to unlock, lock and then unlock the door. Other times the display doesn't illuminate which leads me to believe it might be the battery operated unit on the door.

I am assuming the non-wired unit is linked to a module in the truck that retains the entry code that came with the vehicle, so I can retain my entry code. Has anyone experienced this and had it be the module going bad or might it be the keypad?

Thanks
Joe

·
Premium Member
4,037 Posts
You talking about a factory door key pad?
or do you have an aftermarket setup?

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is a good question......I do not believe it is hard wired (as far as I can tell) since I have only popped the top and it has a replaceable battery, but it came with the truck when I bought it new in 2004.

Perhaps you can help me with that answer.

Thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
4,037 Posts
Factory door pad was wired to the VehicleSecurityModule behind the radio -- no battery
interesting on what you have there

picture would be good
Hmm, google, this what you have?

Reactions: joe blow

·
Premium Member
4,037 Posts
Copied this from another forum

"If your truck came from the factory with the keypad then it is hardwired and there are no batteries in it.

If the keypad was added at the dealership then it is a stick on keypad that runs on batteries and is programmed the same way that the remote control keyfobs are. You can find them on ebay for sale if you are looking to add it to your truck as long as your truck has the remote control door locks"

·
Premium Member
4,037 Posts
So, basically it is a door mounted key fob

"But get it working so that it lights up when you touch a key. Then try programming. What David was saying is that when you add a new FOB, ALL the existing FOB's have to be reprogrammed at the same time too, including the wireless keypads"

Be sure to do entry number 6

To program the keyless entry
keypads remote entry transmitters
yourself:
1. Ensure the vehicle is
electronically unlocked.
2. Put the key in the ignition.
3. Turn the key from the 2 (LOCK)
position to 3 (OFF).
4. Cycle eight times rapidly (within
10 seconds) between the 3 (OFF)
position and 4 (ON). Note: The eighth turn must end in the 4 (ON)
position.
5. The doors will lock, then unlock, to confirm that the programming
mode has been activated.
6. Within 20 seconds, program the keyless entry keypad by pressing the 7 • 8 and the 9 • 0 controls at the same time.
7. The doors will lock, then unlock, to confirm that the keypad
programming mode has been activated.
8. Within 20 seconds, program the remote entry transmitter by pressing
any button on the transmitter. Note: If more than 20 seconds have
passed you will need to start the procedure over again.
9. The doors will again lock, then unlock, to confirm that this remote
entry transmitter has been programmed.
10. Repeat Step 8 to program each additional remote keypad or entry
transmitter.
11. Turn the ignition to the 3 (OFF) position after you have finished
programming all of the remote entry transmitters. Note: If more than 20
seconds have passed you will need to start the procedure over again.
12. The doors will once again lock, then unlock, to confirm that the
programming mode has been exited.

Reactions: BTL

·
Premium Member
2,871 Posts
Indeed

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: ZMANN

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I removed the key pad and it appears that the base is adhered with double sided tape. I can operate the keypad in my hand within close proximity of the truck, while holding the keypad in my hand......I don't know what kind of sorcery this thing came with LOL.

Where is the door unlock module for this setup.....still behind the radio under the dash?

·
Premium Member
4,037 Posts
You regular key fob work the door locks like they should?

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes.

I have been doing some research and the remote door open is in the spot you directed me to look, but much smaller than the OEM hardwired version module.

I hate parts changing, but at this point I am thinking the most used piece is most likely the issue.....the membrane covered keypad.

I am going to change the battery again with a top band battery and see what happens....I am still thinking its the key pad

1 - 10 of 10 Posts