Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

key removed--bell keeps dinging

8K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Hydro 
#1 ·
'06 6.0...F250 Superduty
4dr Lonnnng bed

Truck seems to think key is in ignition when it isn't...Bell dings as soon as door opens, and rings anytime you open a door, even after removing key.. Occasionally you can tap the ignition with your hand and it stops, but that's very seldom. Any suggestions appreciated!!

#2 ·
'06 6.0...F250 Superduty
4dr Lonnnng bed

Truck seems to think key is in ignition when it isn't...Bell dings as soon as door opens, and rings anytime you open a door, even after removing key.. Occasionally you can tap the ignition with your hand and it stops, but that's very seldom. Any suggestions appreciated!!
Ignition switch ?

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

#3 ·
there is an ebay seller wolf security you can order a new OEM ignition and send a pic of the key, and he will match the existing
takes about ten minutes to swap ,, there are electrical contacts on the switch then again a lot of us disable the dinger

#4 ·
Pull the covers off and look at the little wire that connects near the key entrance -- this gets broken off sometimes

Reactions: Rickalee
#5 ·
My F150 does this once in a great while - every several months. Reinserting the key and pulling it out again solves the problem.

That probably doesn't work in your case. But before replacing the ignition switch, I'd try some lubrication of the mechanical bits.

I'd use some graphite lock lube shot into the key slot, and then insert and remove the key several times. This may or may not work, but costs little to try.

#6 ·
I hate that bell; even when it works correctly. So I cut the wire and put a dash mounted switch on it. 99% of the time it's switched off. I can leave the key in, play the radio with the door open - life is good!!!

Reactions: Rickalee and Hydro
#7 ·
If I recall correctly, it's the black wire/purple stripe just under the steering column right side gray connector.

#8 ·
This is for a later year -- but they are all the same

#9 ·
Or was it Black with a Pink stripe????? Don't go cutting anything until you verify!!! Haha..... And especially don't trust anything this guys says, sheesh!

#10 ·
My truck does the same thing. I took off the steering column cover. There is a wire that clips into the ignition switch which has a little metal tab. The tab is not bent correctly and causing the noise. You could pull it out and put some electric tape around it and keep in tucked away..

#11 ·
Scroll up a couple of posts and watch the vid I posted -- you will see that metal clip, it pops out of place -- that is the key sense wire

Reactions: Stu-Nyce
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.