Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 2003 7.3 RHD and purchased new key fobs. I have tried many different programming combinations but none have worked.
As well as the most common one, drivers door open, unlock all doors & on/off with key 8 times within 10 seconds. I’ve tried it with door shut, passenger door open because it’s RHD. Also, with seat belt fastened was one suggestion, I’ve tried these combo’s dozens of times?
Any other suggestions would be appreciated?
Thanks

·
Registered
169 Posts
Is the truck actually going into programming mode? Are the fobs from Ford?

If the truck isn't going into programming mode, you may have a GEM module issue. That was the scenario I had when I bough my 2002 F350 used. The parts guy here tried to program them for me vs taking it in for "service" and the truck would not go into programming mode...GEM module.

I've never tried a non Ford fob, so I'm not sure of people success using aftermarket fobs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply
No it’s not going into programming mode.
What and where is GEM module located and is it something I can fix or replace?

·
Premium Member
7,716 Posts
I've never tried it with the door open. Just do the key 8 times, should lock/unlock then program all your fobs

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I've programmed cheap aftermarket fobs with no issues... doors closed, cycle key 8 times, locks cycle, then hit fob button...

Unless you dont have keyless entry, not all do, are these replacement fobs, or have you not had them before?

·
Registered
817 Posts
I'VE PROGRAMED SEVERAL AFTER-MARKET FOBS WITH NO ISSUES.....

ALL DOORS CLOSED.....SEATBELT ON.....PARKING BRAKE ON.....CYCLE THE KEY FROM OFF TO ON (NOT START) EIGHT TIMES.....ENDING IN THE ON POSITION.....

THE DOORS WILL LOCK AND THEN UNLOCK.....

THEN PRESS THE LOCK AND UNLOCK BUTTON ON "ALL" REMOTES THAT YOU WANT TO PROGRAM.....(INCLUDING ANY OLD ONES).....ONCE YOU HAVE PROGRAMED ALL REMOTES.....TURN THE KEY OFF.....THE LOCKS SHOULD CYCLE AGAIN.....THE PROGRAMING IS NOW COMPLETE.....

LET US KNOW HOW IT TURNS OUT.....

·
Registered
169 Posts
Thanks for your reply
No it’s not going into programming mode.
What and where is GEM module located and is it something I can fix or replace?
It's behind the radio and has to be programmed by Ford.

Before jumping to that purchase, try and see if a dealership can get the fobs to program. The parts guy that sold me the fobs attempted mine after I failed at success. When he couldn't get them to program, thats when I found myself dealing with the GEM module. It was about a 1k deal.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If only it were that easy. I’m in Australia with an American truck and so the dealers here well, don’t sell American trucks. There is one F-truck service centre in this city of Perth so I will try them, but I’ve heard they charge lot’s because they’re the only service centre.
I was just hoping there was another combination that may work 😞
Thanks anyways

·
Premium Member
7,716 Posts
If only it were that easy. I’m in Australia with an American truck and so the dealers here well, don’t sell American trucks. There is one F-truck service centre in this city of Perth so I will try them, but I’ve heard they charge lot’s because they’re the only service centre.
I was just hoping there was another combination that may work 😞
Thanks anyways
Did you try it with all the doors closed? Try that first, on/off 8 times ending up on, the door locks at that point should lock/unlock and it'll be in program mode. At that point hit a button on each of your fobs

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry didn’t realise I had other replies, I’m new to using this forum.
So I’ve just tried all suggestions thus far, still nothing, it’s just not going into programming mode. I tried with doors shut, hand brake on, seat belt on, 8x’s on & off, leaving on at 8. Tried several times with drivers side (RHD) belt on & also passenger side just in case.
I have keyless entry with 1 original fob, which is why I want to program 2 after market ones as backups.
It has an immobiliser which I obviously turn off prior to trying.

·
Registered
817 Posts
So I’ve just tried all suggestions thus far, still nothing, it’s just not going into programming mode. I tried with doors shut, hand brake on, seat belt on, 8x’s on & off, leaving on at 8. Tried several times with drivers side (RHD) belt on & also passenger side just in case.
I have keyless entry with 1 original fob, which is why I want to program 2 after market ones as backups.
WHEN YOU CYCLE THE KEY FROM OFF TO ON.....

ARE YOU TURNING THE KEY ALL THE WAY BACK TO THE POINT WHERE YOU CAN REMOVE THE KEY?....

IF YOU ARE.....THEN YOU ARE TURNING THE KEY TOO FAR.....

IF SO.....THEN TRY THIS.....

GET EVERYTHING READY FOR PROGRAMING MODE AS I HAVE LISTED ABOVE.....

THEN.....JUST TO BE CLEAR ON THE "KEY" PROCEEDURE.....

(1).....INSTALL THE KEY.....TURN THE KEY ONE CLICK FORWARD TO UNLOCK THE STEERING WHEEL.....

(2).....THEN.....TURN THE KEY ONE (MORE) CLICK FORWARD TO LIGHT UP ALL THE DASH LIGHTS.....(BUT NOT TO START THE TRUCK).....

(3).....THIS IS THE POINT WHERE YOU WILL TURN THE KEY OFF ONE CLICK.....AND ON ONE CLICK.....THE 8 TIMES TO GO INTO PROGRAMING MODE.....

(4).....ONCE IN PROGRAMING MODE.....THE DOORS WILL LOCK AND THEN UNLOCK TO CONFIRM PROGRAMING MODE IS ACTIVE.....

(5).....THEN PRESS THE LOCK AND UNLOCK BUTTON ON "ALL" REMOTES THAT YOU WANT TO PROGRAM.....(INCLUDING ANY OLD ONES).....ONCE YOU HAVE PROGRAMED ALL REMOTES.....TURN THE KEY OFF.....THE LOCKS SHOULD CYCLE AGAIN.....THE PROGRAMING IS NOW COMPLETE.....

ONCE AGAIN.....LET US KNOW HOW IT TURNS OUT.....

·
Registered
169 Posts
Does you original key fob work? If it does, the GEM module isn't the problem. So you may not be in that bad of shape and just a bit off with the sequence to get it into programming mode.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes original key fob works fine but I don’t like just having one.
I have tried all suggestions several times and will continue every time I hop in.
Nothing yet

1 - 14 of 14 Posts