Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a little hiatus from the site for a couple years, and during that time: I finished upgrading my 6.0. I had my 6.0 targeted and stolen from behind a motorized gate on my 3 acre property. And most recently I have bought another 6.0.

So my question is to all you. Our particular truck is the easiest and most targeted vehicle for thefts year after year.

What have you done to your 6.0 to keep it in your driveway?

I searched the 6.0 section and couldn’t find anything.

This topic should be a “sticky”, not sure what section it should be housed, but i would like members the opportunity to bounce ideas off each other and share what has and hasn’t worked.

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
IMHO, there isn't much info on theft-proofing on forums because people don't like to publicize their approaches.

That said, disabling the FICM relay through various means is popular. I've always thought that doing something with that fuel interrupt at the pass side foot well also had potential in terms of balancing ease with disruption.

·
Super Moderator
28,718 Posts
there isn't much info on theft-proofing on forums because people don't like to publicize their approaches.
this is why it is not a sticky

tracker ( because nothing stops a flatbed tow truck )

Ravleco

starter kills

ficm relay out/kill

brake lock

good alarm

all the same that applies to any vehicle that does not have a PATS system applies here IMO

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have a two way viper alarm and I put a “tile” under my my carpet in the back seat so if it does go missing I can simply track it and retrieve it.
You just have to remember to replace the Tile once a year to keep the battery fresh.
It’s like LoJack without having to deal with LoJack and their prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
I'm a fan of and have the Ravelco. Flatbed thefts are not that common, especially for a truck our size. Too many easier targets available than to tow on a flatbed IMO.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
there isn't much info on theft-proofing on forums because people don't like to publicize their approaches.
this is why it is not a sticky

tracker ( because nothing stops a flatbed tow truck )

Ravleco

starter kills

ficm relay out/kill

brake lock

good alarm

all the same that applies to any vehicle that does not have a PATS system applies here IMO
How about write ups on how to do some of these various lock outs? I think that would be beneficial. From looking at a truck, you can’t tel what has or hasn’t been done as a deterrent. Plus, Most thieves do not troll
forums. IMO

·
Registered
142 Posts
Now that’s a good one for sure. Does the battery really last a year?

What I found. Check out their site.

“We do not control the lifespan of your Tile. The battery is guaranteed to last a full year. You'll be surprised to know, however, many Tiles last longer than that. However, we cannot guarantee it, so it's covered by our worry-free warranty for those 12 months from activation!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
28,718 Posts
it doesn't have to be a flat bed however mine fits on one fine

it could be a snatch and grab recovery rig you back in and drive away secure truck later

point being the tracker is a good idea just in case and tow theft is 5% of the total vehicle theft stats so not that rare

the Ravelco would be great if it didn't defeat your remote start function and if you actuall use it all the time and don't get complacent

also be better if the Ravelco install directions/instructions were not on the web

pic reported to be a stolen ford on a snatch rig

·
Registered
32 Posts
Funny this conversation comes up. My son recently bought a 2006 F350 Lariat crew cab short bed from a tow auction. Dang thing was trashed inside and the bed was full of crap. No stereo, some of the door plates were missing. Truck had a flat tire and bad batteries. We swapped the tire out, installed new batteries and drove it home. 6.0 engine was AMAZING!!! When he went to register it, the truck was showing up as major league stolen! The police told him that if he was driving it, he was to pull over on the side of the road, get out and step away from the vehicle. He did not want to be caught inside the vehicle. The cops came to the house, filed a report and towed the vehicle away that night.
Here is what the thieves had done to be driving the vehicle:
1) swapped the front end out with a 2003 grill, headlights and front panel to make it look like a 2003
2) swapped out the custom rims and tires with a plane jane set of 18" steel rims
3) placed a SALVAGE title vin plaque over the top of the existing vin
4) had the truck smog tested, under the salvage title vin
5) licensed the truck under the salvage vin number

AND THEN PARKED IN A MONITORED LOT THAT GOT THEM TOWED! When thieves want the truck they will do almost anything to keep them. If my son had not bought the truck, the other bidder was from south of the border and that is where the truck would be now. That little VIN plaque was absolutely COOL. They could have gotten pulled over and nobody would have been the wiser. This is what they will do to have the truck you call your pride and joy!

On a side note, the owner has his truck back. He is not very happy due to the extensive amount of work that will need to be done to put it back into the condition he had it in. He estimates about $10k worth of damage was done to the vehicle overall. And he is getting it back after my son detailed it and removed half a dumpster full of crap from the inside.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Plus, Most thieves do not troll
forums. IMO
Good thing you have faith in thieves, they will be in your car club and possibly tell you how much they like your ride and the mods you have done to it. I used to publicize all my mods on my old car club website...Let's just say the same day I got a large ticket item installed, the car got broken into that night. I don't publicize like that anymore...Heck no.

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
Post Deleted by User.

·
Blow me to Bermuda!
484 Posts
My first car was a 1978 Camaro that my father and I restored. He installed a Kill Switch that we hid in an (imo) ingenious location. Perhaps it's a good idea to do the same in the F350...

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
Post Deleted by User.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Few days ago,a man heard someone in his yard,dark and could not see well but made out a guy getting in his truck and doing something,meanwhile he went for a gun as the truck started and headed out the driveway,,, he shot,truck rolled to a stop,he went over to his truck and looked inside at the guy, it was his own son,dead. No trucks worth this i dont care how many mods or money in it. These are the stories highlights and full details are not known or told at this time.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Why do all the self appointed bad asses think they will pull a gun on someone stealing their vehicles? Everyone realizes they WILL go to prison for shooting them for that right?

Although most say this but would do absolutely nothing

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 28 Posts