Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have owned my truck for about a month now.. And already been in the shop once. My worry is im at 90,600 miles now and almost out of warranty. The extended warranty cost a fortune and the added expense would add about 240 a month to my payment = $740/month payment. For that or maybe less I could get into a new truck. Truth is I just bought a house and cant fathom dropping 3k+ on a repair if something happens to this truck!! ( dont shoot!!!) Dodge is offering me a hell of a deal on 2500 well loaded Cummins 4x4 A little better equipped than my truck right now minus leather seats. I just cant find a well equipped Ford for that price... HELP!!!!!

Alonzo

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
if ur not modding it then i would say to get a new truck. if your modding it, i think it would be better to just skip aftermarket warranty and start bullet proofing the truck

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
delete the emissions stuff, then start saving for head studs. I would flush the coolant and put extended life coolant in it instead of the ford gold. Then keep saving that monthly payment of the warranty and save it for the next issue. an as you have issues you will be able to replace with bullet proof items. but once ya get the studs in there on top the emissions stuff deleted, its gonna be pretty much bullet proof.

·
Registered
215 Posts
You pretty much have your biggest bases covered. Maybe a coolant filter and an air dog. Studs will most likely be needed with a higher tune. But it sounds like you are wanting longevity, not racetruck.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Yep, you're where I was about 2 weeks ago (except buying another truck isn't an option), but I was about to cross 80k miles. You need to either bulletproof it or get a warranty. The one problem I have with BP'ing is that if it breaks, now you get to pay for the breakage and still paid for the BP'ing. If you were to buy another truck, I'd make sure it was brand new or still relatively new or you'll be in this situation again soon. Regardless, I don't know how you can buy a new truck and come out better than keeping the current one overall (unless they do a straight up trade or value your trade at what you paid for it). You're just moving numbers around that you'll still end up paying.

If you're still thinking of leaving it stock, let me know and I may know where you can get a Ford warranty (if you don't go with one of the online Ford ones). I have a Ford dealership I work with that can get you set up. IIRC, they're 0% interest.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys im in tough spot for sure. Thats what I get for buying a used truck... Seeing as the radiator and hoses just got replaced no need for a coolant flush.. Was planning on doing the delete and tune in a couple of weeks. What does the Airdog do?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Doss: thanks for the offer on the warranty help. My local dealer offered me the 0% interest with 10% and 17 monthly payments. Just crazy amount of money for the warranty. As far as a new truck goes I would get a brand new one I dont mind high mileage if I was the one that put them on, but I have no idea what this truck went through for its first 89000 miles!

·
Registered
769 Posts
No problem. Just realize those warranties are all sorts of different prices depending on where you buy them from. My guy was pretty much spot on what the high-volume online dealer prices were. It's good to shop those Ford warranties around. They are all the same (if they are FORD warranties)... just different prices at different dealers. You should have at least the ExtraCare, BaseCare, PowertrainCare, and DieselCare options still available to you. Those are 4 different Ford warranties.

Airdog just smooths out the fuel delivery and eliminates the air. Youtube some of their demos and you'll quickly understand. FASS offers a similar product.

You could also get a coolant and transmission filter (both external). This is basically making sure every system is good to go. Speaking of transmissions, if you haven't flushed it yet, I'd do it before your mileage gets too high and you have absolutely no warranty coverage.

The key to making these trucks last is not pounding on them like they're race trucks and maintenance, maintenance, maintenance. Cannot stress that enough. If you neglect a modern diesel (no matter what brand), you're asking for a repair bill.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well guys I am taking the advice of you wise folks on here and keeping my truck. Going to do the deletes and maintain it. Add some filters and such. About the transmission, should i take it to the dealer or have my uncle do it for me ( he has his own transmission shop) may take it to him and beef it up some so I wont be so worried about it. TravisH3 made a good point I can put the money away and have it there for a repair need it ever arise. Thanks again guys keep the info coming

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
Whats up with the dreaded oil cooler problem. How does one avoid that issue?
installing a coolant filter and maintaining your coolant. Keeping it clean is the best way to avoid oil cooler problems.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Regarding a transmission flush, while you're still covered under the powertrain warranty, I'd bring it to Ford for the power flush. That way it's documented and they can't argue it was done improperly if, for some reason, your transmission fails.

Make sure they use the right fluid though and that they change ALL of the fluid. If you just tell them to flush the transmission, they may just drop the pan and swap the filter (replacing only 8 or 9 quarts (which is about 1/2) of the fluid).

Yes, keeping your coolant clean and new is a great preventative maintenance step.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Well, if it's never been flushed before, right now! LOL

30,000-60,000 miles depending on how hard it's run. I'd say 40-50k isn't a bad service interval. Especially when you see what can go wrong if your cooling system isn't kept up properly. It could mean the end for a motor.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
I personally would flush with VC9 and go with a cat EC-1 rated coolant. IMO they are better coolants for diesels and dont have silicates and nitrates that need to be checked.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I'm going to run by the Cat dealer here and pick up some of teh EC-1 rated coolant. I'm going to attempt to do this at home (wife will be away possibly long enough for me to do it LOL). I'll post some pics up if I do it this weekend.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Awesome guys thanks... Your making me feel a whole lot better about keeping the truck as I really love it! Well I just had my radiator replaced and they did a full flush and put brand new coolant.. Ill wait to do the Cat coolant the next go around.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
Awesome guys thanks... Your making me feel a whole lot better about keeping the truck as I really love it! Well I just had my radiator replaced and they did a full flush and put brand new coolant.. Ill wait to do the Cat coolant the next go around.
Good deal. As long as you maintain your coolant you should be good. I would recommend a coolant filter :thumb:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.