Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to make a 5 hour drive to Michigan and 1 hour into the trip, I lost cruise control after going through a small town. 4 hours of interstate driving and no cruise sucked. I did not have a CEL, but I checked for codes using my Mini-Max and found the P0087 low fuel rail pressure. I cleared the code ran about 4 hours back to home and lost cruise again. Same code. Now whenever I clear the code, it comes right back. I have no performance issues and the I never get a light (CEL).
I have the Hot Damn (300HP) tune installed and usually run that empty (no load). I run the lower tunes (mild & wild) when towing 5,000#'s.

I imagine the code is related to the expensive to replace HPFP and not the low pressure pump on the frame rail. Anyone have any diagnosing tips? Is there anything I can check before I take it somewhere? I have been running the Hot damn tune for about 800 miles with no issues. The truck has 125K on it, so definately out of warranty. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Did you think to run the truck without a tune to see if the code reappears?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you think to run the truck without a tune to see if the code reappears?
I did run the mild tune all day yesterday with a load and still got the code. Did not try stock (which is still +50HP). I will try that tomorrow. Thanks.

P.S. I have recently (around 800 miles ago) changed both fuels filters.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
change filters again i know i know but its cheap/er then other things to do also what low pressure system u using

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
change filters again i know i know but its cheap/er then other things to do also what low pressure system u using
I went out and checked my mileage - I actually have 2,200 miles on the new fuel filters. (Wow, didn't know I have driven the truck that much.)

I guess I can change them again. Which low pressure system? - I guess all stock. I haven't upgraded anything in the fuel system.

·
Registered
355 Posts
o damn idk then youve got sm miles on them filters but nt enough to goof up maybe got sm dirty fuel while on trip and need to replace them

·
Premium Member
8,819 Posts
P0087 can be the low pressure fuel system weakening, but it can also be the HPFP weakening. That's is the code I got when my HPFP went out at around 30,000-35,000 miles.

·
Registered
19 Posts
How about am update?

In stock trim, I lost cruise. I have since installed the mimi max, CAI, and exhaust with the 300 tune. I brought it to the dealer for an oil pan gasket leak and they said the cruise issue was from a code being thrown. They couldn't tell me what it was. Today, the check engine light comes on and the code mimi max is showing is p0087.

This issue should be covered by my 30 day (used car) warranty, but im sure they will fight it. Help me out....

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
If it is under warranty, and the dealer can overlook the tuner, let them figure it out. If it is the high pressure pump, need to get it corrected right away. It can start destroying itself and send metal to the injectors.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ended up taking it to the dealer. They couldn't find anything (of course). They said come back with the CEL on so they can pull the freeze frame data. I did and they still couldn't find anything wrong. They did a fuel pressure test and all was well. They gave me a bunch of "it could be the high pressure pump, or it could be the pressure sensor, or it could be the wiring", all of which cost lots of money to diagnose/fix. I didn't do anything and have not had the problem since. I think the problem is heat related as the problem only seems to happen when outside temperature is above 90 degrees. Guess I'll know this summer if the problem comes back.

·
Premium Member
2,783 Posts
It was probably the fuel filters, was having the same problem with mine. Took it into the dealer, they said both filters were plugged, and that ended up killing the low pressure pump on the rail. Since then the truck has run great. I can finally go up long hills again w/o losing power. I thought for sure it was going to be warranty, but it wasn't it was a mistake on my part, and I accept that and the $875 bill for the repair.

James.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
When that code popped up on my truck my HPFP was bad.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you find the real problem?

I ended up taking it to the dealer. They couldn't find anything (of course). They said come back with the CEL on so they can pull the freeze frame data. I did and they still couldn't find anything wrong. They did a fuel pressure test and all was well. They gave me a bunch of "it could be the high pressure pump, or it could be the pressure sensor, or it could be the wiring", all of which cost lots of money to diagnose/fix. I didn't do anything and have not had the problem since. I think the problem is heat related as the problem only seems to happen when outside temperature is above 90 degrees. Guess I'll know this summer if the problem comes back.
I'm having the same problem on my 2008 F350. Intermittently, of course, with the same diagnosis: It could be this or it could be that or it could be....

Please help!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts