Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep replacing starters in my truck. I've had this truck for 8 years and have put 89k on it. Truck total has 189k on it. Seems like ever 2 years I go thru starters for it. I'm thinking it's due lack of driving it. It may do sit for weeks with out starting. I started it up the past weekend turned over just fine. Batteries are good and solenoid clicks. Is not driving it possible why I go through so many? I have a friend with a excursion of same year. We have had ours for almost the same years and he hasnt replaced a starter yet. What should I check for to get better reliability? What starter should I purchase?

Thanks

·
Registered
8,625 Posts
Check the starter wire. Also what brand? I am on the original motorcraft from 1999 and my truck has 153k miles. My truck will often sit for two weeks at a time and longer during the winter. I have a battery tender but I think it’s the brand your using or a wiring issue

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I have tried having it rebuilt at a local shop tried auto parts places due to being stranded. I'm fortunate for it to not start when I really dont need it and its sitting in my driveway. I upgraded all my cables this past summer except the starter cable due to it being a special lug. I'll check voltage drop on the cable.

·
Registered
515 Posts
If you are getting china-zone parts that could be it. Maybe pay a shop who does the 2 year warranty program.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did not check when it was rebuilt and what was changed. I've been doing research sounds like a general consensus is denso and motorcraft starters are the way to go. Is this correct? I also purchased 3/0 cable and terminals and upgrade the starting cable

·
Premium Member
8,360 Posts
Turning over this big an engine, with the High Compression we have, is hard on a starter. If you buy AutoZone, Advance, or parts store starters you should expect them to only last a couple of years...

You've had good advice, MotorCraft or Densoare worth spending the extra money on. The Denso is an AMAZING starter but, I have to warn you, they attract counterfeiters. You have to buy from the right source ([email protected] will get ya a real one ;))

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright yeah that's what I've been getting from research. Looks like I'll be getting a denso from Corey. I saw his price then saw some for little over a hundred. Wondered why such a huge gap but makes sense there are copies out there

·
Registered
976 Posts
The problem over the decades is that the replacement part manufacturing in the aftermarket has dried up in the USA and moved to China, so even the local rebuilders who used to do better than the parts stores now get the same repair components, and the poor quality.

Going to the high dollar aftermarket is one choice, but so is trolling the salvage yards for OE replacements. And with many of the Powerstrokes, you can move up in years so what's in a yead can have lower miles. For my 6.0 I was able to get an OE starter with relatively low miles for about $60. For the 6.0's we can move up to early 6.7L staters, the only issue being the 6.7L changes so all bolts are the 8mm, so a bushing and a washer need to be used on the one position. I think but can't say positively the 7.3 can bolt up the same range.

As much as some are willing to bash savaged parts, in the area of starters and alternators, good OE components trend to be a better quality than the parts stores throughput of someone else's problem. But you need to learn to check the mileage of the vehicle they come out of and learn what the OE appearance and labels are or you can end up with a rebuilt part store salvage.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Parts store starters are about 1 to 2 year starters on these trucks, period. Parts store re-manufactured units are about 6 month starters, my opinion. Also, cheap batteries, or old batteries, that seem like they are starting things just fine, can often be dropping in voltage enough under strong load to cause high amperage current and burn out the starter. Throw a voltmeter on the battery terminals while cranking and see what the drop is, wayyy more current than the so called parts store load test.

One more thing to do if yours has the 2002+ electronic dash and no under hood power distribution box (have seen a few in the 2001 MY as well come to think of it), clean ground G100, which is located in the engine bay on the firewall adjacent to the hood hinge on the Driver's side - sorry no photo. There should be two wires going to it, one is about 10Ga, the other is small, maybe 18Ga?. I have seen bad ground there cause the under-dash mounted starter relay to "flutter", which in turn causes lots arcing of the contacts in the starter solenoid itself, even though the starter (mostly) sounds like it is running fine.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great I'll take a look. Within the year I replaced the alternator and upgraded the charging system wiring. At the same time I cleaned up grounds and replaced any that looked bad. I'll look for that ground and make sure I got it all cleaned up

·
Registered
976 Posts
G100 and G101 are both the most important harness grounds. As stated, one is at the strut on the driver's inner fender and the other is on the firewall by the master cylinder.

G100 G101.jpg

·
Vendor
12,889 Posts
Alright yeah that's what I've been getting from research. Looks like I'll be getting a denso from Corey. I saw his price then saw some for little over a hundred. Wondered why such a huge gap but makes sense there are copies out there
I'm one of the very few who carry the real DENSO starters. I've actually been contacted by the suppliers of the DB units from China and I could get them for as little as $50ea.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update....I bought a Denso from Corey at Cnc fab about a month ago.. I waited to install it till this weekend due to upgrading wires at the same time. So I had the same issue with alternators,kept burning them up. So I bought 2/0 cable and every wire that was part of the charging/starting system got an extra 2/0 cable. So I have the original wire and a 2/0 running right next to it. I also read in cold weather some people install a 3/0 cable for the starter. So I did that as well. I also installed a ground wire from a mounting bolt of the starter to the frame. I may of went a little over kill but im tired of replacing starters and alternators. I'm hoping by doing this everything is getting as much juice as needing and im not getting low voltage any where. Fired up the truck and holy cow does that starter turn the engine. I don't think I have heard a starter turn an engine so fast. Especially an engine that big. I have no doubt that this starter/cable upgrade will help in the winter. The starter is kinda tough to install due to being in quite a tight spot and so much bigger than the stock one.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts