Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
PMR = JUNK
11,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got an auto trans. Every time i manually downshift into 2nd, i blow the fuse for the instrument cluster/idle validation switch/a bunch of other things. What could be causing this? I tried checking for wires but i cant get the plastic piece off the top of the steering column, how do i remove that too?

·
PMR = JUNK
11,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
:bump::bump: I'd kinda like to get it fixed this afternoon.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
It is your overdrive switch grounding out agaianst the steering wheel, I garantee it. Do you lose your fuel pedel also when the fuse blows?

·
PMR = JUNK
11,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep. The OD switch would cause it to blow when i shift to 2? How do i fix that?

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
There is two wires coming from that switch over time they rub a hole in thereselves from shifting. then when you move the shifter just right the bare wire hits the metel and grounds out and blows the fuse. Dash, fuel pedel ext.

·
PMR = JUNK
11,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hm, is there an easy fix?

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
I took mine apart and jimmy rigged the switch under the dash in my old 7.3 because once I butt conected the wire I could't get the wires back through the shifter. I would recomend getting a whole new shifter, From a dealer or a junk yard. I believe it will have the switch and the wires in it and all you have to do is plugg the new wires in.

·
PMR = JUNK
11,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How do i remove the shifter?

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
You have to take out your dash then you have to take out your ignition tumbeler. Key has to be in the run position and you take something pointy and push the button and it will come out, also you have to unscrew the tilt wheel lever. then the plastic will come off the top. Also I think there is 2 or 3 screws from the bottom. You may be able to tape the wore spot.

·
PMR = JUNK
11,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, my dash is already pretty tore apart because of my harbor freight incident so half the work is done. I'm gonna go check that out right now. Ill let ya know later on if i got it fixed or not. Thanks alot for the help, i really appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
While you have the ignition out take the little wire off of it and tape it up and shove it back out of the way. Now the damm beeper won't beep at you because your keys are still in the ignition all the time. I have done this to alot of powerstrokes. Pulling the key all the time sucks and it also wears out the tumbler.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Thse two wires are the littlest gauge in the world so be careful they will break very easy where they are wore. Also I think once you get the plastic off the top you will see a little bolt that connects the shifter.

·
PMR = JUNK
11,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alrighty, ive been wondering how to make that dinger stop, it drives me nuts when im working on it with the door open.

·
PMR = JUNK
11,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got it fixed. Thanks alot. All i had to do was just tape over the worn insulation. I taped over the entire wire, and put a bunch over the area that it wears out at. I got rid of the ignition dinger wire too, that was one thing ive really been wanting to do but wasn't sure what i needed to do. Thanks again.:thumb:

·
PMR = JUNK
11,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Since this seems to happen pretty often, a write up for it should be in the tech files. If thats an option let me know and ill do a write up on it.

·
PMR = JUNK
11,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No, i should have though.:doh:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts