Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering if anyone has experience with the kdd heads. Just wondering if they’re worth the money. A set of 2 valve aluminum heads for my Pontiac run almost 3k. The alum kdd heads are just shy of 4K and I’m wondering if this is like a 100 horse bolt on. I have a
Stage 2 cncfab hpop
4 inch back strait pipe
Sct tuner with spd
Have to get the kc stage 2 rebuilt
Stock injectors (want 190/75s)

let’s hear some stories

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
I wouldn't get aluminum unless you plan on drag racing it and need to shed a few pounds. Not like your average powerstroke worries about a few pounds of weight.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured it’s the same performance with the addition of weight savings. 80 lbs is a lot on the strip. My trucks strictly a pavement princess as far as the performance realm goes. I’d like to be able to shred newer 1/2 tons..... I’m upset a ram beat me but I was neck and neck till I hit 40 then his top end took me

·
Premium Member
11,686 Posts
You're not going to get the same kind of HP bumps with new heads on a turbo diesel as you can with a NA gasoline engine. It's just the nature of things. The KDD aluminium heads probably flow a little better, are certainly easier to port and polish and are a good bit lighter than steel heads, so there is no doubt a bit of a performance gain, but no where near 100hp.

That said, I was a early adopter of the KDD o-ringed steel heads and they are holding strong 80k later.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I read you loud and clear..... did you get the kdd irons because your heads were cracked? Eventually I want to put injectors on the 6literbeater and I did not have my heads o ringed when I got the stud, hg, oil cooler issue resolved. What’s your setup?

I’m not too worried about it for the moment cause I dont beat the crap out of the old girl too much but I did enjoy building this truck with tuner, turbo, exhaust, hpop etc. I’m sort of entertaining ideas of building horsepower in an efficient manner of spending.

·
Premium Member
11,686 Posts
I got the KDD heads because I wasn't sure what condition my heads were in, but knew I wanted o-rings. I could have chanced it that the heads were good and chanced it that the machine shop I took them to would do the o-rings properly and probably saved a few bucks, but by the time I had all of that done, along with hardened seats, brand new valves, springs and guides, I doubt it would have been very much. Plus, at the time, I received my heads in about a week, but like I said, I was an early adopter, so they weren't as backlogged as they were after that. I like to think my posts about them may have had a little something to do with how popular they got, but who knows. The truck is basically stock, except for tuning. It's in my sig. The KC Stage 1.5 is currently on a shelf. I rebuilt a stock turbo and wanted to see how it did so I could be confident in selling it if I chose to. I swapped them out and never took the time to put the 1.5 back on.

Reactions: letsmow10

·
Premium Member
2,752 Posts
Same here, no idea what condition my heads would be in after driving on seeping head gaskets for almost 3 years and not wanting a ton of down time I ordered the KDD's and had the cab pulled when they showed up

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: ZMANN

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
I had KDD build my entire engine after I lost a lifter. I wasnt going to put old heads on a new bottom end even though there was nothing wrong with mine that I was aware of. If I was going to do it I was going to do it right, in my mind at least. About 20k miles on the build and it has been great. Many other things along the way have come up but the engine has been a smooth running, quiet (for a 6.0), beast. As others have said, I dont think the aluminum option is worth it for most but if you have the money to spend and have a little something extra go for it otherwise you will be happy with old iron.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just installed a set on a customers truck for the price the quality is absolutely top notch! Fresh paint no sort of surface rust from shipping engraved brand logos absolute a great part will have to get a set for my personal truck if I ever somehow pop my head gaskets again

Reactions: letsmow10

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the testimonials guys. I think I’ll hold off on a set of heads for the 6literbeater until I come into a sozeable chunk of change. Injectors will be the last mod for a while at least

1 - 10 of 10 Posts