Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ya'll, with there finally being a drop in turn that is worth the $ I am curious to see what type of Dyno numbers folks are putting down with this TP38R turbo from KC turbos. It states on the website it's good for up to 238cc hybrids and was told 500-550rwhp would be the upper limits of the turbo. For $1400 it is a heck of alot cheaper to run one of these then going the T4 mount. Not to mention alot less work with it being a drop in turn. As long as you plan on not going any bigger for injectors it seems like this is easily the best bang for your buck turbo for up to 525-550rwhp. List your set up (what psi you are seeing as well) and what you put down for power or what you have ran in the 1/4 mile with this turbo

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nobody is running this turbo? I have to imagine for the $ there is no better turbo for stage 1 160cc injectors up to small hybrids out there for daily driving/towing.

·
Registered
49 Posts
here is my two cents, after doing some research I looked up the Dual BB and Journal bearing specs and looking at some numbers on the two compared and found out that the spool up time is in the hundredths of a second. after reading that I decided to put together my own version of the turbo minus the Dual BB. i had actually ordered my wheel from CNC and when I called they told me that the wheel wouldn't work with the stock shaft so I sent it back and I then called PowerMax Turbos and they set me up with the same wheel that I had originally ordered from CNC, which is from KCTurbos except different name, and told me it will in fact work with the stock shaft. Most of the wheels are pretty much the same just different a name, look at the specs. Thats the beauty of CNC Machines anything can be replicated. They also set me up with the same compressor housing as the KCTurbo Compressor Housing except the outside isn't all nice and shiny polished finish, im ok with that. Then from another source I ordered the Garrett Non EBPV delete pedestal, Garrett High flow flange, Garrett 1.0A/R turbine Housing, and the 360* bearing upgrade kit. I haven't pulled the turbo to rebuild yet waiting for a dyno day to do pre-rebuild and post-rebuild comparison. One thing to note is that PowerMax has several options to choose from for about 70 more they will include new turbine and shaft and come balanced with the compressor wheel. Stay tuned ill be making a post on this rebuild.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I still see a huge advantage going T4 but the cost is a hair higher but the up pipes typically need replaced and non EBPV pedestal increases the costs close to a T4 kit. KC turbos updated their KC38R turbo to mock a 366sxe but nothing has been said about upgrading the TP38R to a 366sxe style unit. If they ever did it would be a great drop in option.

·
Vendor
12,878 Posts
I still see a huge advantage going T4 but the cost is a hair higher but the up pipes typically need replaced and non EBPV pedestal increases the costs close to a T4 kit. KC turbos updated their KC38R turbo to mock a 366sxe but nothing has been said about upgrading the TP38R to a 366sxe style unit. If they ever did it would be a great drop in option.
The KC Turbos TP38R has been upgraded to the 366sxe style.

https://www.cncfab.us/shop/kc-turbos-kctp38r/

www.cncfab.us

·
Registered
367 Posts

www.cncfab.us
I have had one since December; beta tester. I'm a happy man. I pulled the camper from NE Wisconsin to the KOFA in Arizona, about 5500 miles and elevations over 7500 ft. The difference is night and day. There is no black smoke, just some haze (I can actually see what is behind me) when I have the hammer down. AND, it's boosting by 1500 rpm. I could not be happier. Kudos to the Charlie. It only pulls the camper, so I won't have a fancy numbers for you.

Dusty was in Arizona doing some live tuning. I wasn't aware of that at the time, so I missed out on that. I will say it again. Live tuning sessions should be posted on their sites.

·
Registered
367 Posts

www.cncfab.us
I have had one since December; beta tester. I'm a happy man. I pulled the camper from NE Wisconsin to the KOFA in Arizona, about 5500 miles and elevations over 7500 ft. The difference is night and day. There is no black smoke, just some haze (I can actually see what is behind me) when I have the hammer down. AND, it's boosting by 1500 rpm. I could not be happier. Kudos to Charlie. It only pulls the camper, so I won't have any fancy numbers for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts