Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Berm Buster
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read a couple post saying the k&n filters arent that great with filtering. anyone have any coments

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
i had one and never experienced any problems no"dusting" as its reffered to but now i am running afe and like it better i mean AFE "IS" a better system and no more expensive i wouldnt buy another K&N personally

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
I have read a couple post saying the k&n filters arent that great with filtering. anyone have any coments
Don't waste your money. Buy an AFE, AEM, or something else then a K&N.

You see them black spots, those are holes through the filter element. This was from one weekend at the sand dunes. I was lucky no major damage my truck didn't get a dusted engine from this. But since I have swapped out the K&N and installed the Tymar filter from fleetfilter.com part number 6637.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Don't waste your money. Buy an AFE, AEM, or something else then a K&N.

You see them black spots, those are holes through the filter element. This was from one weekend at the sand dunes. I was lucky no major damage my truck didn't get a dusted engine from this. But since I have swapped out the K&N and installed the Tymar filter from fleetfilter.com part number 6637.
that sucks i wont be buying any k&ns

·
Registered
159 Posts
Here's the 6637.

Lots of filter surface, not that much money.:thumb:

·
Registered
189 Posts
i have a k&n now going to buy a AFE very soon i'm a daily driver i stay on the road all the time and that damn thing get so dirty so easy it seems and i've read so much about them dusting trucks can't wait to upgrade

·
Berm Buster
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
with the 6637 you just replace the filter and used the K&N tubing.

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
I found with the K&N that when I would go off road I could pull the filter and wipe a rag around in the intake tube and it would be dirty. That made me change mine ASAP. That started my 6 year intake journey of 3 different intakes and then finally settled on the AFE stage 2, last year.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
just do a tymar for like $50 almost the best which reminds me i need to buy the filter to replace my k&n

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Yep you can, thats what my truck has now, you just have to take the shield off and you should be good to go:thumb:

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Yes you can. But you will have to remove the heat shield that is provided by K&N. As the 6637 filter is to big to fit in the area with the shield installed.

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
Another option if you don't like the extra noise from a open element filter and if you want the very best filtration is the Ford AIS system, with the Zoodad mod mine flows all the air my truck needs.

NCH

·
Berm Buster
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For me the louder the better haha how much did the ford ais system run ya.

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
As of the end of January 08, Ben is the contact guy since Bob has left the company. The service is still great.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
I have used my K&N for 115K now without any problems. I inspect the inside of the tubing every 7k miles when I am changing all of my filters and cleaning my airfilter. Never had any dust, dirt, or anything else inside my tube. Yes, i do wipe a white cloth around the inside help in finding dirt, but ive been lucky so far. I do pay close attention to the amount of oil I put on the filter and sponge like filter cover though. As you can see from the pics below I have been lazy lately and havent cleaned it in a while. The sand must be rough as hell, cause I drive on dirt and gravel roads allot and dont get holes.

·
Berm Buster
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It would prolly help alot to have that filter cover on there. I think im gunna go with the 6637 just because i already have the tubing and it seem like the best way for the amount on money. Thanks for the info.

·
Berm Buster
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cleaned the filter today. Everything looked good. Checked the tubing for dirt. It was clean. But because i am in VA it has all been highway miles. I know when i take it back home i will get in alot more dirt and dust so i am gunna change it out anyway.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts