Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear alot of people bad mouth the K&N drop in filter, but has anybody had any experience with it ? Just wondering because I have one and it seems to be working great.

·
Registered
601 Posts
i had one and cant complain, this truck spent many many hours in pismo and glamis and that filter would double its weight in sand and i never saw any get past it. i did change it for good measure though.

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
I'd say the problem wouldn't be with a K&N drop in filter. The problem is the stock airbox. K&N has been a trusted name for years & has been proven time & time again for vehicles of all walks of life. The stock airbox just isn't designed for perfomance. Look into a cold-air intake with a K&N filter, & you'll probably see a BIG difference!:icon_ford::thumb:

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
I'd say the problem wouldn't be with a K&N drop in filter. The problem is the stock airbox. K&N has been a trusted name for years & has been proven time & time again for vehicles of all walks of life. The stock airbox just isn't designed for perfomance. Look into a cold-air intake with a K&N filter, & you'll probably see a BIG difference!:icon_ford::thumb:
Actually the K&N drop in filter is the problem.

There bad news. They tend to get holes in them and let dirt threw

As for the regular cone filters and such, i'm not sure about.

But as for there drop-in filters, they are a BADDDDDD idea on turbo-diesels.

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Actually the K&N drop in filter is the problem.

There bad news. They tend to get holes in them and let dirt threw

As for the regular cone filters and such, i'm not sure about.

But as for there drop-in filters, they are a BADDDDDD idea on turbo-diesels.
Do you know this through personal experience?

·
Registered
4,781 Posts

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
No not personal experience. Just everything i've read.
Hmm...I've never had problems with K&Ns I've run in past vehicles: '83 T-Bird 5.0, '98 Mustang GT, '03 Cobra, & my '01 F-250. But then again, I'm from New England. You'd be more worried about sucking in a seagull instead of sand or other harsh debris elsewhere.:dunno:

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Hmm...I've never had problems with K&Ns I've run in past vehicles: '83 T-Bird 5.0, '98 Mustang GT, '03 Cobra, & my '01 F-250. But then again, I'm from New England. You'd be more worried about sucking in a seagull instead of sand or other harsh debris elsewhere.:dunno:
:hehe::hehe::hehe:seagulls:hehe::hehe:

They seem to work quite well in gas motors, just not turbo diesels. There are quite a few threads on here with people who have had horrible experiences.

I personally wouldn't wanna even chance getting my motor dusted. Its not worth the multiple thousand dollar chance.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
i cant complain about the k&n drop in filter but one of my buddies had on then went to the cold air intake and said he could tell somewat of a diff. but i have a d.i.y. intake and i really like it.
it gives you easy hp. but really cheap.
i think a d.i.y. intake is the best way to go if you are kinda short of money like me.
i know a guy also that has one in a 04" duramax for about 2 years now and not had a single problem
but personaly i would go with a d.i.y. intake since it is the cheapest and ive heard that a d.i.y. intake gives you more hp. and keeps more dirt out, but i dont know from experience

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
:hehe::hehe::hehe:seagulls:hehe::hehe:

They seem to work quite well in gas motors, just not turbo diesels. There are quite a few threads on here with people who have had horrible experiences.

I personally wouldn't wanna even chance getting my motor dusted. Its not worth the multiple thousand dollar chance.
Hell no! I DO like K&N & haven't had problems. But I've failed to mention that's all I've used & have been looking/doing research on other intakes. With your new insight, I may be pushing for something else faster!

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,020 Posts
K&N is like Banks and Edge IMO. Just because they dump the most money into advertising and sponsorships, and they get the most magazine and television coverage, does not mean they are the best. Just the ones with the most money

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
K&N is like Banks and Edge IMO. Just because they dump the most money into advertising and sponsorships, and they get the most magazine and television coverage, does not mean they are the best. Just the ones with the most money
Banks IS K&N! I was so jerked about that! In the ads & owner's manuals, they were claiming it was cutting edge technology. When I got the damn filter, the box & recharge kit BOTH said: "made for Banks by K&N". I thought I was getting something Banks had designed & under the impression that I was getting something different! WTF!?!?!? That's what I get I guess:doh:.

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,020 Posts
Interesting....

·
<-Day Of Fail now SOLD
3,393 Posts
When my grandfather took his PSD to the dealer for some work they told him his engine was dusted by the K&N air filter and wouldn't be covered under warrenty. But the best part about it all is the dealer sold him the filter and ashured him if anything went worng it would be covered. The lawsuite is still pending and now he is rolling around in a D-Max.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
The problem I see with K&N and other aftermarket filters is that you get it go wow and then forget about it and never clean it or at least thats what I see. I now have a F250 with a 460 and before I had it, it was a company truck for the family and my cousin put a K&N replacement filter in it. Well 7 years later I go and look at the filter and it is completely black but I do have to say not much dirt passed through. Well I threw it away and got a motorcraft filter. Now I just go get a $15 filter every how many miles rather than finding the time and effort to clean an aftermarket.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
i have the K&N and i have never- NEVER- had any problems with it. its get dirty and i use the kit and clean it making sure no holes are put in it. i lived in Rosamond (desert w/ avg. 30mph wind) and in tehachapi (high desert/mountain with 10 mph sustained wind) do dust in my airbox! so maybe i am just lucky but i love mine.a little seat of the pants diff when i clean it up but it might just be a mental thing

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,020 Posts
I'm pretty sure that K&N's after market cone filters are OK. It's their drop in filters that don't fit the Ford factory airbox perfectly. I had never heard that they were prone to get holes in them before, just that they didn't make a good enough fit in the airbox allowing dirt to pass through.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
I'm pretty sure that K&N's after market cone filters are OK. It's their drop in filters that don't fit the Ford factory airbox perfectly. I had never heard that they were prone to get holes in them before, just that they didn't make a good enough fit in the airbox allowing dirt to pass through.
I'm pretty sure i've also read somewhere on there before that there prone to get holes in them as well. Not positive on that, but i seem to remember reading it.

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,020 Posts
What happened to the Left Lane thing?

Wasn't that you?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts