Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember hearing/reading one time to stay away from K&N cold air intakes as they are probably bad to contribute to dusting the turbo and/or engine.

Thoughts or facts regarding this? Or are they good filters as good as any other CAI?

Thanks

·
Registered
549 Posts
i have heard not to go with the k and n filters for these trucks. but i dont know that anyone actually has proof that it was due to the k and n. im not trying to start an argument with anyone i just am not sure of the answer.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
I'm not in any position to bad mouth K&N, I've not had one, exept on my ATV, it was on it when I got it. However, if you can get a baldwin/wix 6637 and make your own intake like a lot of us have, why spend the money on a name? The 6637 may not be re-usable, but for the cost, (and size, it's HUGE) it's worth it to me. Just my thoughts... I'm sure others will have first hand knolage of the K&N's....

·
Registered
563 Posts
Stay away from the box filters, the cone filters are fine and if your even worried about that then throw a sock on it... well I would if I drove dirt roads a lot but I don't...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've had a stock replacement K&N in my stock airbox since I bought the truck with 36,000 miles on it. It now has 142,000. At every oil change, I pull the filter to check, and have never had a trace of dirt in the intake. I've heard of the concern with these, but have never experienced the problem myself.

·
Super Moderator
19,837 Posts
This is my experience with a K&N intake on my truck. I bought and installed it in March of '06. I did buy it before joining this forum and before I read the bunches of info PRO/CON about K&N being on diesel engines. It's working for me.

After I read the negatives, I did see that there were some who had actual personal experiences with them not working well. Many, though, just jumped on the K&N Bashing bandwagon seemingly just 'cause they could. Everyone needs to make up their own mind.

I do clean mine more often than the 50,000 miles K&N says you can go. I'm not an off-roader, though occasionally I have been on dirt or gravel roads. The truck is my daily driver and I also tow a 31' 5th Wheel up to 10 times a year. For a while, after I read the negatives, about once a month or so, I would take the cone filter off, take a clean microfiber towel and reach into the tube going to the turbo and wipe the tube to see if there was dust, dirt or anything else in there. I did not find any. Now I wipe the tube when I clean the filter and I still don't find anything in there. My boost gauge still shows the turbo making plenty of boost while I drive and I can still hear the turbo whistling plenty loud out the exhaust after 4 years of use. So...my conclusion is, FOR ME, K&N is a good filter.

I refer you back to the end of the second paragraph.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
If you properly maintain your K&N airfilter, and lube it properly, it should be fine.

That said, there is a specific way to do so, that many people dont do. If not done right it will contribute to dusting.

I've heard from so many people to NOT use K&N airfilters, why even chance it. Heard it from loggers, truck drivers, older guys, and many people on forums. You can run one if you like. But I really dont want to pull my turbo to rebuild it so I'm going to stear clear.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So...my conclusion is, FOR ME, K&N is a good filter.

I refer you back to the end of the second paragraph.

Do you have the stock airbox replacement K&N filter, or do you have the CAI style (the conical style)?

I've just learned that maybe most folks are advising to stay clear of the stock airbox replacement elements and NOT the CAI style??? Is this correct???

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
19,837 Posts
I have the cone with the tube. I removed my stock box to put this in.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Everyone is talking about the stock box... cone stlye are fine...

·
Registered
549 Posts
i could maybe see the flat box stock replacements being a problem. i had a ranger a few years ago and it never seemed like the box sealed right with that filter. but thats a whole different model.

also i could see not cleaning your k and n being a problem. i know some people slack on this.

but i do agree that you can make one cheaper they buying the k and n. but i purchased mine before i was a member here.

i did try the 6637 for one filter rotation just for giggles and i didnt notice a difference in power or fuel mileage or anything like that.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
K and N are bad. I had a buddy that cleaned his all the time and his intake tubes were always dirty inside. My AFE on my 6oh kept everything clean as a whistle inside. I would never risk my truck to cheap filtration.

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
It doesn't matter what type of K&N (or ANY of those K&N knock-offs) you have, Cone or Stock replacement..

They All let too much dirt through the gauze and are Not Good for your engine :(

Particularly in a diesel where the suction is so high AND you have a turbo impeller to wear.

They're ALL Bad News and anyone who thinks "I have lots of mileage on mine without and damage" has to ask themselves,,,, How do you really know what damage has been done and would you have been better-off without ingesting all that dirt ;)

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It doesn't matter what type of K&N (or ANY of those K&N knock-offs) you have, Cone or Stock replacement..

They All let too much dirt through the gauze and are Not Good for your engine :(

Particularly in a diesel where the suction is so high AND you have a turbo impeller to wear.

They're ALL Bad News and anyone who thinks "I have lots of mileage on mine without and damage" has to ask themselves,,,, How do you really know what damage has been done and would you have been better-off without ingesting all that dirt ;)

So what do you like best? What do you use?

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
Paper is the way to go ;)

It depends on what you're looking for though.

If it's performance the 6637 conversion (Lots of write-ups here on this) is a good choice. And you Do need to "open up" that side of the engine if you're going to free flow the exhaust on the other.

The Ford AIS system is probably the best you can get if you're in dirty conditions and want to protect your engine.

For an un-modded stock truck, people are just kidding themselves by doing away with the stock box. Just making more noise :)

So, why change away from the stock system unless you've put on other aftermarket stuff and the existing intake is holding performance back?

·
Registered
7 Posts
While I can never be 100% sure that my engine is not ingesting any dirt - I use a clean paper towel to wipe the inside of the intake tube every time I check or service the filter. I have never found ANY dirt or foreign material that has made it past the filter. I'm not saying that others haven't had a problem, just that I have not had the issues reported about the stock replacement (flat) K&N. It was on my truck when I bought it 8 years ago with 36k miles and is now at 142k with no issues.

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
This is not internet myth. It has been proven multiple times. K&N sucks!!! They may be ok for gassers but not for diesels. Every filtration test I have ever seen shows K&N dead last. Dirt is death to a diesel so why take the chance? For those that think your K&N is all that, how about running a UOA report and let's compare silicon levels. Mine are usually below 5. Your K&N won't even get you into the single digits. Again not myth, but pure fact. Do a search for air filter filtration tests or comparison charts. Do your own homework and do what you feel is best. I did the homework and that is why I run the AIS on my truck and recommend it to others.

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
While I can never be 100% sure that my engine is not ingesting any dirt - I use a clean paper towel to wipe the inside of the intake tube every time I check or service the filter. I have never found ANY dirt or foreign material that has made it past the filter. I'm not saying that others haven't had a problem, just that I have not had the issues reported about the stock replacement (flat) K&N. It was on my truck when I bought it 8 years ago with 36k miles and is now at 142k with no issues.
Forget about seeing the dirt!!! Send off a UOA sample to Blackstone and then post back. I suppose if you are a city slicker you may not have the destruction that a truck is driven off road a good amount, but why even chance it???? That's my best advice, YMMV. :thumb:

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
With what Hornet just said, and most everything else that I've seen here on this thread I believe I will be switching over to the AIS too. I don't have too bad of dirty conditions where I live but these trucks pull in a LOT of air, right??? My truck isn't modded heavy at all so I don't think I'm gonna miss any power by not having a CAI on there.........

Hornet, you still doing stuff with CCV mods? Shoot me a pm. I'm thinking of doing that mod while it's close the other airbox stuff.

·
Registered
8,710 Posts
We are a Tymar dealer..A few points:

"Tymar is going to give you better flow but AIS is going to give you unmatched filtration…the AIS plus it will last a LONG time, like 60K miles…”

Although the AIS will give better filtration efficiency, you are only talking about 1/10 of a percent over the filter Tymar Performance Intakes use at initial filtration efficiencies. Not enough of a difference to really differentiate between the two.

For the longevity, you have to start talking about restriction ranges in both stock and aftermarket applications and how dirt will affect them. AIS has a larger capacity, but not across the restriction ranges once installed on the truck. Because of the configuration you are not lowering restriction significant over stock levels, but you are receiving better filtration compared to the stock intake.

The Tymar Intake will allow lower restriction levels and lasts approximately 15K miles in a restriction range LOWER than stock. If you want to go with longevity of filter, you can continue using the same filter and will simply not experience the positive benefits of lower than stock restriction levels.

Although the PowerCore ® media is far superior to most other media, there is not a PowerCore media filter available for use as an open element. They are inserts for intake boxes and are not configure for use as filter alone applications.

The filter media is not the main attraction, but the filter configuration. It is NOT true that you cannot get the same filtration efficiencies or flow rates from other Donaldson products. It will just simply have to be larger. The PowerCore configuration allows for compact applications that have flow rates and filtration efficiencies of filters much larger. So it is the compactness of the element and not that the media processes some magical qualities.

The problem with heat shields and routing air through intake boxes is that whenever you direct air flow, you increase restriction. Low restriction is the goal, so using a filter that has the ability to flow large masses of air and then enclosing it in a box yields very poor results. Heat shields do literally nothing. Air flow under the hood is dynamic and not static. It is moving all the time. Hot air will move right around a heat shield at the same temperature and be ingested and the only thing you have caused is turbulence.

Aside from impeding minimal radial clearance and isolation of engine vibration, a serious cause for concern is placing the filter, especially a 6637 element, under a rain drip channel for the hood. Beyond the ambient moisture that will cause restriction as it is absorbed into the non-hydrophobic media, you will be directing water towards the filter anytime the rain drip channel flows more rain than it can hold or spills over the retainer during left turns.

If you would like additional info or pricing please PM.

Cary

1 - 20 of 20 Posts