Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my truck in March knowing it has a leak and needed some small things cleaned up. Turned out the previous owner's stud job was bad and it has blown HG. No biggie, I'll drive it and save up.

Well, coming home from work, enjoying my truck on the highway I go to pass some traffic and the engine starts clanging. I'm losing power. It's surging. Crap.

Nurse it to my mechanic and he immediately tells me she ate a lifter.

So now, it's getting the head gaskets done early lol. Along with a new stage 1 cam (for reliability), new valvetrain, etc.

The good news is, I have amazing credit and will be earning many many points on my card lol.

Should find out tomorrow if I'm buying new heads as well.

I've already decided I'm going to fix and keep the truck. This is supposed to last me into my old age so I had already planned to invest in keeping her going...

Downside is all my fun upgrade plans are off the table for a good long while, and he may find more things that need to be fixed.

Upside is, I SHOULD wind up with a very reliable truck in about a week.

Not looking for advice or anything... Just don't have any place to talk about it haha. My friends all think I should buy a brand new vehicle but they also consider car payments an unavoidable debt.

Premium Member
Thanks for venting...and thank your degas bottle and lifter too 馃榿

this is my takeaway from the story
There is some truth in this! If you're gonna drive it, you need to know the signs and symptoms and be monitoring it so you can back it down a bit when those signs start to show! If not you'll end up like this one and a lot of others.

You can get by with driving on a broken truck, but you gotta be smart about it!

-jokester

Premium Member
I purchased my truck in March knowing it has a leak and needed some small things cleaned up. Turned out the previous owner's stud job was bad and it has blown HG. No biggie, I'll drive it and save up.

Well, coming home from work, enjoying my truck on the highway I go to pass some traffic and the engine starts clanging. I'm losing power. It's surging. Crap.

Nurse it to my mechanic and he immediately tells me she ate a lifter.

So now, it's getting the head gaskets done early lol. Along with a new stage 1 cam (for reliability), new valvetrain, etc.

The good news is, I have amazing credit and will be earning many many points on my card lol.

Should find out tomorrow if I'm buying new heads as well.

I've already decided I'm going to fix and keep the truck. This is supposed to last me into my old age so I had already planned to invest in keeping her going...

Downside is all my fun upgrade plans are off the table for a good long while, and he may find more things that need to be fixed.

Upside is, I SHOULD wind up with a very reliable truck in about a week.

Not looking for advice or anything... Just don't have any place to talk about it haha. My friends all think I should buy a brand new vehicle but they also consider car payments an unavoidable debt.
I realize you're not looking for advice, but you left-out too much info on this truck that you plan to significantly invest in and keep through old age. It's probably a Ford SD, but what year, how many miles, body condition, etc.? We can't appreciate your situation without SOME background.

Premium Member
I certainly hope you have a good 6.0 mechanic. This situation could go from bad to great, or bad to worse very quickly!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
06 6.0 drw 635 rwhp (retired) 08 KR build in progress
I knew my old truck was pushing some coolant, kept using it, hauling home from racetrack with the enclosed in tow went to pass someone and boom, it blew the lower tank clean off the radiator. Shoulda stayed in line and made it home a bit later. That was a night I鈥檇 love to forget.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the lighthearted responses everyone! I'll try and give answers to everyone here.

Background on the truck is it's an 06 crew cab 4x4 Harley edition, black with those sweet sweet flames (I'm in Texas... Black truck regret lol).with 230k on it. Purchased it for 8k figuring it could use TLC but the big work had been done. IPR oil cooler relocation with 100% filtration, studs, upgraded FICM, MBRP turbo-back dual exhaust, regulated return, live wire tuner, EGR deleted, etc. Everything worked on it, all accessories and everything.

I knew it needed: a leak sorted out (turned out to be a cracked oil filter housing) new glow plug(s), had a dented passenger side front fender, and the driver seat leather needs replacing.

Had it in for the glow plug and leak and asked the shop to double check the gaskets. Found out they were blown.

Talked to my mechanic and he said I should be good to wait and save up rather than put stuff on my credit card. He is a 6.0 guy and drove his for 85k miles with blown head gaskets until he had time to do his. He said just keep an eye on my monitor and keep coolant in her.

Mechanic is a good one and primarily works with the 6.0. He just moved from Dallas down here to Central Texas to open his own shop. His prior customers and even his old boss still send him all their bigger 6.0 jobs from Dallas because his reputation is stellar.

His personal truck is a mid 600hp 6.0 that is going back under the knife now that he has ordered his new 6.7. He's doing everything short of compound turbos but eventually will go that route and will be shooting for the magic 1000hp mark once the compound setup eventually goes in.

He sends me pictures of everything and is really good about discussing all the options. Plus his turn around time for a stud job is 2 days (If heads are replaced rather than machined. He keeps fresh heads on hand to combat turn around time.) and that was BEFORE he hired a new mechanic. This job will take him about a week and it's not like it's because he has a lack of work. Dude's shop is always full and always getting new jobs in as he sends competed work out.

The truck honestly isn't special. It wasn't a late family member's truck. I haven't owned it long. It's not some super rare special edition or even a real looker. It's just my truck. I've wanted a black Harley edition 6.0 since they came out but I never allowed myself to indulge due to having a large family (6 kids, plus whatever family member is going through hard times. We always have someone we're taking care of) and my Military career. I made SFC and this was my treat... lol a used, tired old truck. But the wife wants me to keep it and enjoy it, even if it means putting money into it.

Like I said, my friends all think I'm nuts. I am looking forward to a healthier and more reliable old truck. I can have the card paid off in a few months and then I can think about what's next for it.

Administrator
I have had bad gaskets for about 5 years now I push it all the time .. 16 psi is my standard venting psi but can see upwards of 20 on hills

not that my couldn't go catastrophic at any time I figure your lifter was going let to go despite head gasket condition

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have had bad gaskets for about 5 years now I push it all the time .. 16 psi is my standard venting psi but can see upwards of 20 on hills

not that my couldn't go catastrophic at any time I figure your lifter was going let to go despite head gasket condition
Yeah my mechanic was telling me he didn't change his driving habits at all. Used it to haul vehicles all over, etc. He also said the lifter was probably going to go regardless at my miles. He mentioned that whoever did the HG before should have also swapped the pushrods for the updated ones (I believe Ford switched part numbers to the 6.4 rods and they are slightly shorter).

My honest theory is that the PO's mechanic was less than well versed on the platform. Looking at the parts that were already on it, it feels like parts were thrown at it rather than problems properly addressed. Take the regulated return... I have a feeling that was put on to address fueling issues when it's likely it only needed a blue spring upgrade.

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if they just dropped ARPs in without even addressing the gaskets. I found out this morning that the cab mounts are disintegrated, so that tells me either the previous mechanic chose to ignore that, or the cab never came off... if the cab stayed on then it's likely the heads did as well... thus my theory that it was studded one stud at a time with the heads in tact.

Premium Member
Pushrods don't matter.

With a failed cam/lifter, it's more likely that there was a clogged oil cooler in the past, IMO.

Reactions: Heavy_GD

Administrator
well if the previous heads were machined and you have to longer pushrods it can be an issue

also my not using his reman heads comment is my way off suggesting you new o ringed heads

Administrator
thus my theory that it was studded one stud at a time with the heads in tact.
We have seen this before and if it is the case you might not even have all the studs ,,

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Pushrods don't matter.

With a failed cam/lifter, it's more likely that there was a clogged oil cooler in the past, IMO.
I don't doubt a clogged cooler in the past at all. It came with the IPR relocate and filter so I assume it was installed when the previous one failed.

well if the previous heads were machined and you have to longer pushrods it can be an issue

also my not using his reman heads comment is my way off suggesting you new o ringed heads
The pushrod/machined head relationship was what my mechanic mentioned as well. Heads should be off today so I'll know if they were machined, which will also prove or disprove my stud at a time theory.

As far as O-rings, I'll figure that out once I find out if these are cracked or not. If I can reuse them I will just because getting any more money green-lighted is going to be tough... but if I gotta replace them anyway it'll be an easy step to convince the wife that the rings are worth it.

We have seen this before and if it is the case you might not even have all the studs ,,
That'd be an interesting find and I should find out today.

Premium Member
You hadn't mentioned the heads were machined. That may or may not matter, depending on the machining and if it was excessive. Some shops, unfortunately, do not address the valve stems. You could put stainless shims under the rocker plate to compensate for the material removed from the head mating surface, but I've never seen that with a Powerstroke. But if the lifter was bottoming out, you will bend a pushrod or break a rocker, or at the very least, leave imprints on the pistons.

If those are the original heads at 230k, it would be odd if they were not cracked.

Premium Member
Hey, ssgswjohnson. While they are checking the heads, could you ask them to check for out-of-flat across the width? Just curious since it's rarely reported.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You hadn't mentioned the heads were machined. That may or may not matter, depending on the machining and if it was excessive. Some shops, unfortunately, do not address the valve stems. You could put stainless shims under the rocker plate to compensate for the material removed from the head mating surface, but I've never seen that with a Powerstroke. But if the lifter was bottoming out, you will bend a pushrod or break a rocker, or at the very least, leave imprints on the pistons.

If those are the original heads at 230k, it would be odd if they were not cracked.
It's not 100% known weather or not they were machined at this point, it was more a theory from the mechanic. He also mentioned that sometimes the lifters just fail. He told me he's seen lifters go at 100k, and others never go well past 300k...

Hey, ssgswjohnson. While they are checking the heads, could you ask them to check for out-of-flat across the width? Just curious since it's rarely reported.
I can ask. When you say "out of flat across the width" do you mean one side has more material than the other? Like it was machined lopsided/uneavenly if you will?

Premium Member
250k to 280k is around where many cams and liters seem to take a dump. While they have been used in other Powerstrokes and other engines, they are highly stressed in this motor due to the spring load and leverage of the rockers.

In both International's and Ford's manuals, part of the inspection process is to check for deflection, warp, or out-of-flat across the widths. I personally think this is where the major issue is, but it's rare to find people who have checked it. And due to Ford's insistence not to machine the heads, what I call "tenting" is never addressed on many head gasket jobs. Which means they will fail later. The gaskets will not achieve full compression at the center of the head if they are not flat.

The other flatness spec, down the length, is not that important to me, although it should not exceed 0.004". Most machine shops look at the length flatness and call them warped but don't check the width; again, to me, the most critical.

A quick check to see if the head has been machined is to check the head thickness. The minimum spec is 3.74" or 95mm. They can be thicker than that, but many find they are at the minimum from the factory.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Line Audio equipment Gas

Font Parallel Symmetry Screenshot Number

Rectangle Font Handwriting Parallel Paper product

Reactions: jokester00
1 - 20 of 26 Posts