Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005 6.0 Crank No Start - YouTube

Not sure what the problem is. Any help please. When I bought the truck it was down for a leaking EGR cooler, supposed bad starter, and no low pressure base oil. I installed all new parts below and here is the results. Not sure what it could be.

I have a full fuel bowl. I do not get bubbles in the bowl while cranking. Any advice?

IPR / ICP starts at 85% / 3psi and builds up to around 50% / 1500psi.

New Parts list:
STC, standpipes, dummy plugs, oil cooler, oil cooler screen, IPR screen, low pressure oil pump gears, oil pump front cover, oil filters, oil, thermostats, degas bottle, blue spring fuel regulator, starter, two batteries, and welded the EGR cooler (deleted).

·
Registered
352 Posts
Sync between CKP-CMP, Sync between FICM and PCM?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have not put a mechanical gauge on the fuel system. Not sure where to install it but I'm sure I'll find it in this forum. But with the fuel filter cap and filter off the bowl fills up and overflows immediately while cranking.

Reactions: RedneckYankee

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am only going by what my scan gauge shows me. As seen in the video. It shows FICM sync. I think it is for CKP - CMP. How do I check for FICM - PCM SYNC.

·
Registered
352 Posts
You need a better scanner with those PID's, the ficm-pcm, the ficmpwr, ficmlpwr, etc.

The port you need to test the pressure is in the fuel bowl, just among the other connectors, it's a allen type plungger

FICM SYNC goes for the snyc between the FICM and the PCM, this means they are connected and will work togeter when the ckp-cmp sensors give the command to fire each injector.

Your IPR duty should be at 45% and the pressure going up really fast.

Have you already purged your HPOP system? Let the air go off by taking the ICP off and putting your finger in the hole and make somebody crank it, you will feel the air comming out and shortly after that, some oil will pop.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok thanks for the info. I will get back to y'all with the results of the fuel pressure gauge. As well as purging the HPOP system via the ICP hole. That is news to me, but that's why I'm here. To learn new tricks and get assistance.

As for a better scanner... I know Ford IDC would be the best. But realistically I thought the scan gauge 2 was good enough for troubleshooting. What do you recommend?

As always... Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
** Can y'all hear the weak resolutions of the engine while cranking. With fully charged batteries the rpm peak at 150 while cracking.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well now it is LOCKED UP. During a long cranking session, I heard it catch a couple times. I thought it was going to fire. Then the engine sounded like it had binded up, during the next revolution I hoped it would break free but it just locked up. Now when I turn the key, I get no movement. Just the lights dim a bit from the load on the starter.

Wow. That failed lifter theory is starting to look plausible. Or worse.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Take the glow plugs off all of then and turn the emgine, the water will go off

Sorry for not posting, its sunday

Reactions: kts1964

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jorgecanek: no worries about not posting. I understand that not everyone can be online all the time . And thank you to everyone else on here as well. I truly appreciate all of y'all's assistance.

Now you said to pull the glow plugs to pump out the water. Gotcha.... But... I had the EGR welded on both ends. So either the weld is leaking or blown head gasket, cracked head, or cracked block??? I hear these are not common issue for the 6.0 like it is on a Chevy 350. But it is still possible right. What else do y'all think it could be?

I just towed it over to a powerstroke shop. I'm going to have them diagnose it for me.

My money is on leaking egr cooler weld as well as bad lifter, needle bearings in the oil system, bent valve from hydrolocking, and worn down cam lobe from the bad lifter. These would explain everything so far. But would require a new engine.

But I hope I'm wrong and it's something simple and cheap. Lol

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ain't that the truth. It's like a domino effect on this engine. This is a perfect engine, on paper. But in the real world there is no room for failure.

·
Premium Member
3,654 Posts
It still takes a long time to build ICP, but since it hasn't started, it still might be purging air on the oil side.

With what you are seeing, you should have fuel being pumped into the cylinders and you should see white fuel smoke (and smell) coming out of the exhaust once the ICP is up. If you don't have fuel vapour out the exhaust, that would be the area to start looking.

·
Premium Member
3,654 Posts
That is definitely one of his better videos. It is too bad he didn't include the final outcome of some of the low ICP tests, but further diagnosis with air certainly came next. The real gem was to show the NORMAL crank and ICP/IPR expectation in the clip for the A/C pump, although the engine started before the ICP even registered!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Keep us posted, i want to know what the problem was.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the video. I've seen all of dieseltechron videos 3 or. 4 times . Very informative. And usually... I did not fully understand what he was doing or referring to until I had that specific problem with my truck.

The truck is out of my hands at this point, it's at the shop. I will def keep you guys informed on what they say.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Today's update:
Shop hooked up the scanner. FICM good so far. Glow plugs on passenger side tested bad. He said not to worry about that yet. It may be at the connector. Or the GP module. We will see. Pressure tested the cooling system.. Good. Pulled the EGR valve... Intake is still dry. So that means my EGR cooler welds held up and are not leaking. He did say my starter is messing up and locking up. Said that he could turn the engine over easily with a long wrench. So much for my hydrolocking theory. That's actually good news. Won't know until he pulls the plugs and cranks it over. I dropped off another new starter this evening. Ran out of daylight. More to come on Monday.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Subscribed for outcome

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.