Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck the last few days was starting a little hard like the baterries were weak so After working the last few days I got home and I pulled out the old handy dandy voltmeter and measured the voltage and what a shocker my charge was at 12.6 volts when the truck was idling. So the alternator is a gonner and also noticed the serpentine belt had seen better days. what a fun project that was. three hours later and some cussing the belt (hardest part) and alternaor is on and back in business :thumb:. Anywas I thought I would say to anyone trying to tackle the alternator and or belt, is to release the tensioner by a few methods. 1- pull on the belt really hard 2- use a long handled pry bar and pry the belt back (be carfeful with this method!) 3- buy a tensioner pulley bar kit at any parts store. basically it's a breaker bar and place the 3/4" socket head in the spot on the far side of the pully when looking on the passenger side if the truck. It doesn't go on the pully wheel itself, but on the far corner. You may need to feel around for it. When you get it realeased there is a spring loaded clip on the tesnioner. flip that in and it will lock it in place. Great idea I might add on Ford's part! then be carfeful not to let the belt slip off everthing and remove the alternator. The serpentine belt on the other hand is not so easy but can be done in a few hours maybe with a buddy to help. I removed the air filter assembly, drained a little coolant so i can get the top radiator hose off . Removed the mounting brackets on the radiator, pulled the fan shroud out and un bolted the shroud on the mother. Pulling the shrouds helps give much needed wiggle room. pull the belt off and replace it with the new one which is a bear if you are not good with threading up pulleys. Note: fan shroud pulls completely out and the one bolted on the motor stays in, but un bolted. I hope this helps anyone out there and if you need more details on certain steps let me know. Remember, the labor is FREE:woot:

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
i did two alternators in my last 6.0, you aint kidding about the cussin part, i swear that cussin is one of the tools needed to get through what should be an easy swap LOL.

·
Island Dweller
1,300 Posts
I have tried the cheap harbor freight serpentine belt kit to the expensive gear wrench kit and nothing works better than a 1/2 inch ratchet and slipping a 3ft iron pipe over the ratchet handle. IMHO of course :)

Reactions: mikeb01453

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Correction:1/2" socket drive. Not 3/4". Doh!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's about right though Mike.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Qholic: That does the job just fine too. Honestly probably the best way if possible.

·
Registered
973 Posts
If the back fan shroud is gone, changing the serpentine belt is a 10 minute job, jus sayin

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It does take 10min. Have to take other crap apart to get the shroud out.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I usually like to keep all the factory items on, but the fan shroud is one that I do not miss or find that was ever needed. Only thing is I do not tow heavy like many others do.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I made a tensioner pull wrench... 2ft long, 3/8 thick 1"1/4 wide. Drilled a hole at one end, and welded in a piece of 1/2 square steel . Make sure that the 1/2" square is turned like a diamond. Took me longer to take bolts out of alternator than it did replacing it.

·
Premium Member
11,854 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts