Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Just replaced motor. No Start. help

2K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  barrakudaman 
#1 ·
I had a fresh long block that I installed in my 02 ford 7.3 diesel truck. I did the swap myself. Now that I have everything together the truck turns over really slow and will not start. We could not even hardly turn the motor over with a long breaker bar on the front crank/dampner nut to put torque converter bolts in. I used the starter to put the torque converter bolts in that i wasnt able to reach initially. It is a fresh motor so I am sure it will be a little tight. How hard is it to get these things started? The truck only has 55k miles on it, and i was told it ran without issue before the motor lost compression. Any advice appreciated. I charged the batteries over night and went to start it thismorning, no start... i dont want to crank on the starter super long and break it. Is Either a bad idea for a new motor? :icon_ford:

#2 ·
I'm not sure why it would be so hard to turn-over, it shouldn't be like that :( BUT, know that the PCM needs to "see" at Least 100rpm (150/200 is a normal "spin") before it will trigger the IDM to fire the injectors. So, it won't even Try to start if it's cranking too slowly. You gotta figure a way to get it to crank at a normal speed or you're just wasting your time...

#4 ·
Put new batteries in, cranks over much better.... still have not gotten the truck to start. I called a local diesel shop n they said to just keep cranking it and crack the fuel plugs on the back side of each head untill all the air is purged. I dont seem to be getting any air now and am gonna just leave the plugs closed now and hopefully build enough pressure to start. anyone have any ideas or thoughts.

#10 ·
IS the LPoil pump supposed to pump the oil all the way up to the HPOP? I have added oil directly to the HPOP resivor. And It seems to be pushing oil to the oil rails inside the heads. I cant crank on the motor that long because the starter heats up a bunch. Maybe 10 seconds and the starter is pretty hot. Motor still turns over fairly slow with the two new batteries.

#12 ·
It takes a loooong time to get a fresh engine to start mine took a few hours of crank and sit and did you prime your lpop? If not stop what your doing and prime it I forgot the exact procedure you may have to do a little research

iPhone auto correcting incorrectly like a boss

#14 ·
I think we out grease in mine I can't remember now but my truck took a very long time to get everything primed enough to fire but it cranked over normal speed

iPhone auto correcting incorrectly like a boss

#15 ·
Well Guys.... I have found the problem. I installed the LPOP backwards I am just happy to know what the deal is. With the LPOP installed backwards it ends up getting pressed into the front cover and creates that slow turnover issue I was having. I am happy you guys helped me out. I decided to pull the motor right away and then inspect what was wrong. The plugs were installed in the rear of the block. From the LPOP being pressed into the front cover, there are shavings of aluminum. Should I be worried about this getting into the oil system? I will be replaceing the front cover and all the oil in the pan anyways...I figure the pump never pumped oil anywhere. Thank You again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.