Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Pretty easy. I can do one in about 30 minutes. So I would say allow yourself probably 2-3 hours to be safe if you never have done one. I have yanked my fair share of turbos and rebuilt turbos though. They aren't rocket science, very simple. Have your wobbler and 12 pt sockets ready. The rear bottom bolt is the roughest but once you do one, it's easy.

The biggest piece of advice I can give you is------- Are you ready? Tie a piece of dental floss or fishing line to the c-clip that holds the actuator arm on the wastegate. YOU WILL drop that thing more than the naughty words you have in you vocabulary. This way when you drop it, you just pull it right back up with the line. Clip off when done.

·
Registered
438 Posts

·
Desert Shield/Storm Vet
9,092 Posts
You don't have to pull the turbo to put the ATS housing on if you don't want too:thumb: Nevermind I read your post wrong! Looks like Fire 370 has you hooked up! They aren't difficult at all! Just in an awkward spot to work on.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I'm torn between a wicked wheel and the housing. I know the housing is the fix the wheel is cheaper but which is the easier install?

·
Desert Shield/Storm Vet
9,092 Posts
Pretty much the same as you have to remove the compressor housing to get at the wheel anyway:thumb:

·
Registered
438 Posts
I think that answers my question, save a few more $$$'s

·
Registered
260 Posts
As vitalidle said, but most of the time to change the wheel in the truck you have to unhook the down pipe to get to the exhaust wheel so you can keep the shaft from turning while you unscrew the compressor wheel. So a little more time involved BUT very doable and not too bad..

New compressor wheel = cheaper.... ATS = best fix for POS factory turbo...LOL

·
Desert Shield/Storm Vet
9,092 Posts
Also a little trick that scuffy showed us all. If you use an impact and just bump the trigger you can get the wheel off without haveing to take the dp off. Its a great way to do it. Just have to make sure your have the impact in reverse. Here is a video. Of course Scott makes it look a bit easier then you and I can do it:thumb: http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/7-3-mod-help/29481-wicked-wheel-installation.html

·
Registered
260 Posts
Since you was.... LMAO Vital!

I was going to tell that part. Last guy I told how to do that FUBAR'ed his. So I am kind of quiet on this one, but YES, it works very well.....

SO EASY, YOUR GRANDMA COULD DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
would spending 300 bucks more and getting a fully rebuilt turbo from rons turbo shop be better than putting the ATS on the turbo i have now. In another thread of mine somebody pointed that out to me. His are just rebuilt with a Banks wheel on it. Any suggestions? I already ordered the housing but i guess i could send it back?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Spend the $85 and get yourself a rebuild kit and do it yourself. That is just what his are, rebuilt with a Banks wheel............. Easy to do. Just take an afternoon and hop to it. There is really nothing to a turbo.

Too many people get alarmed when they think "turbo" and make it way harder than it is. They think it is like the space shuttle and it is not. More like a bicycle.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea thats what ive heard, this is my first diesel and ive done everything myself but after im done I always wonder, Did I do that right or did I screw something up. Thats my deal i guess. If someone around here would/could do my housing install for 100 bucks I would probably just have them do it just cuz i know it would take me all afternoon and about 10lbs of cuss words!! But no self satisfaction not doing it yourself though!!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Your a little far for me bud or I would gladly give you a hand and you could keep your $100. It is very easy if you do decide to do it.

How do you like your MTZ's? Got a set on my 2000. Got ATZ's in 18's on the '03 and '06.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I love the MTZ's. Actually not too loud on the highway either, got about 15k on them and no wear at all, I rotate them every 5k though. They look BAD A$$. I have the stock wheels for now, Im way into the performance thing to spend my money on the wheels, but they would look alot meaner on a wider wheel thats for sure!! Thanks for the offer to help with the housing install, it doesnt seem there are too many people around here into these trucks so its hard to find people to show and help out with things, oh well.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Yeah, I love mine too....

Got 305/70R16's on the 2000. And 305/70R18's on the 03 and 06.

My brother has some Maxxis (I believe this is what they are) on his 07 and they are mean looking too but they are some noisy mothers.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
They are nice tires, got ehm from a wholesaler up here who used to be a regular at a bar I bartended at in college, recognized me and let me out the door for 600 bucks cash. I though that was a decent price. they are 285/75/16

1 - 20 of 20 Posts