Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just need to know, has anyone had good luck with the 6.0, is there any out there with tons of miles on them that havent had egr, head stud, turbo, problems... mine is a 04 with 37000 miles on it, like new.. what can i do to prevent any issues with it.... can i just drive it normal, leave it stock, keep oil and fluids fresh, dont modify it..(except exhaust) no program... and have good luck with it??

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats refreshing to hear, i just wander why if there was so many problembs with this motor why ford put it trucks for so many years.....

·
Registered
118 Posts
Delete the EGR cooler, flush coolant and replace with Cat-EL -1 coolant, put in a coolant filter and enjoy your truck!

·
Registered
109 Posts
i just need to know, has anyone had good luck with the 6.0, is there any out there with tons of miles on them that havent had egr, head stud, turbo, problems... mine is a 04 with 37000 miles on it, like new.. what can i do to prevent any issues with it.... can i just drive it normal, leave it stock, keep oil and fluids fresh, dont modify it..(except exhaust) no program... and have good luck with it??
I would change your coolant and possibly do something about your EGR. Unfortunately some of the problems with the 6.0 are inevitable.

How did you find an 04 with 37000 miles on it?

·
Registered
786 Posts
thats refreshing to hear, i just wander why if there was so many problembs with this motor why ford put it trucks for so many years.....
I take offense to that. The 6.0 is a great diesel motor IF you service it properly, monitor the right functions and address a few things that it needs (coolant filter, ELC, perhaps maybe an EGR delete etc) ALL motors have their issues, it is more pronounced when Ford diesel trucks out sell the other 2 combined by a wide margin. There are a butt load of people driving 6.0's that have had little to no issues (I am one of them)

·
Premium Member
31,729 Posts
Delete the EGR cooler, flush coolant and replace with Cat-EL -1 coolant, put in a coolant filter and enjoy your truck!
Yup red cat ELC is you want.

116k hard miles no issues here

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
thanks everyone,, i found the truck with 36k at a dealership, got it for $21,000. traded the 06 f150 in for it... this truck is pristine, never saw salt or snow... i dont even think it has ever been dirty, the paint is perfect, interior looks like it has never had anyone in it... it is absolutely a beautiful truck... it just concerns me because of all the 6.0 issues.... if i knew how to post a pic i would...

·
Registered
344 Posts
I will tell you this, listen to all the 6.0 owners on this forum. Maintenance is ABSOLUTELY CRITICAL to the longevity and reliability of these engines. I was an OBS 7.3 owner till about 2 1/2 months ago. Then i found my truck on craigslist. I researched the crap out of these things before I bought it, asked a few questions, and decided to go for it. I have since added an aftermarket exhaust, bypass coolant filter from dieselsite, blue FPR spring, and an edge insight CTS. I bought my truck knowing full well what COULD happen, and I anticipate at one point I will have a problem, but until then I will drive it and enjoy it. I suggest you do the same. Just be PROACTIVE instead of REACTIVE!! :)

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
156 Posts
I got my '03 with 126k on the clock. A year and a half later it has 214k on it and the only problems that I have had were seized a/c compressor and a oil cooler replacement, both being currently done.

My only other gripe are the front rotors warping, but there are some pretty good options in the aftermarket arena that cost very similar to oem parts.

Btw, to help keep problems down, once a week do a full throttle run from a 5-10 mph roll up to about 70mph. This helps keep problems minimized by raising your EGT's enough to clear out some of the carbon as well as fully cycling the vane's on the turbo. These trucks do like to be ran hard from time to time so don't be afraid. The biggest thing is to run some type of gauges so that you can at least see what the truck is doing and help keep an eye on the things that could go wrong without you knowing it until it is too late.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts