Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a 3 and half-inch ready lift kit. Now my steering wheel is turned 90°. Do I need an alignment to straighten it or can I do that myself?

·
Premium Member
2,028 Posts
I just installed a 3 and half-inch ready lift kit. Now my steering wheel is turned 90°. Do I need an alignment to straighten it or can I do that myself?
You can straighten the steering wheel yourself by adjusting the drag link (the steering rod that parrallels the track bar). Adjusting the drag link wont affect alignment.

You should get it aligned now that you leveled it. The alignment shop will also re-center your steering wheel as part of the alignment.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I plan on getting it aligned after I get new tires on next week some time. In the mean time I want to straighten the wheel. When adjusting the drag link bar, do you loosen all the bolts? I read in a previous thread a while ago that when the wheel is turned to the right which mine is you should lengthen the drag link. Is this correct?

·
Premium Member
2,028 Posts
I plan on getting it aligned after I get new tires on next week some time. In the mean time I want to straighten the wheel. When adjusting the drag link bar, do you loosen all the bolts? I read in a previous thread a while ago that when the wheel is turned to the right which mine is you should lengthen the drag link. Is this correct?
Remove both locking bolts and then rotate the adjuster sleeve. Suggest spraying liberally with PB Blaster or other penetrating oil ahead of time. Might also need to use a torch to heat the sleeve to get it to rotate. Rotate the adjuster sleeve a little and then see which way the steering wheel is moving. Change direction if needed to re-center the wheel.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks going to try it this afternoon.

·
Premium Member
18,040 Posts
Whats the drag link? Is it the threaded rod that has a clamp looking thing on it with 2 bolts running through it?

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also the stud that hold the stock steering stabilizer is seized in the trac bar. I tried beating it out with no luck, any suggestions?

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Steering wheel straightened up, thanks.

Also, I just cut the stabilizer shock off right down at the base of the stud. I'll work on it later its not hurting anything now though

·
Premium Member
2,028 Posts
Steering wheel straightened up, thanks.

Also, I just cut the stabilizer shock off right down at the base of the stud. I'll work on it later its not hurting anything now though
Good deal.

Most people take the stock stabilizer off and toss it in the trash. A good dual steering stabilizer setup will serve you much better, and doesn't use the factory mounts (frame or drag link). It will attach near the back edge of each tie rod end, and provides much better dampening than the OEM one that dampens the drag link.

·
Premium Member
2,028 Posts
just an FYI, dual stabilizers on vehicles are overkill, and usually not required, they just add unnecessary drag to sterring components. if you feel that you NEED one, you need to have your front end looked at professionally
Well, for those of us with coil spring front ends, the dual steering stabilizers are one of the few ways to prevent or minimize death wobble. I realize it's not a problem for the <2004's, but for >2004s it's a real problem. Most alignment shops either dont understand the issue or can't resolve it. Same thing occurs with the newer Jeep Wranglers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts