Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive often read about the tick these engines make or that a lot of people say they get randomly or short while after an oil change. I have never heard in in 100k miles. Yesterday i drove 450mile trip and got out of the truck lots. It wasn't till I got home i got out of the truck and heard the irregular tick!! It only went away when i revved the truck past 2000rpm then it idled back down and it was gone. It sounded like when i crawled under the truck it was coming from where the engine and trans meet. If its nothing to worry about ill live with it but should I be concerned? I searched on you tube and found this video and its 100% the same noise my truck made.
Thanks for your help

6.4 Ticking - YouTube

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anybody???

·
Don't you worry about it
8,335 Posts
Mine (106k) has done it since I bought it with 40K.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That same noise in the video? And is it random

·
Don't you worry about it
8,335 Posts
No mine isn't quite like that mine you only here slightly above idle and its not erratic like that.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
anyone else?? i drove the truck for a while today and it didnt do it

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
The tick that most have is when driving and its around 1200-1800 rpm, not at idle. I have the tick that everyone talks about and it goes away after a few thousand miles on the oil after I change it, been that way since 10k and I am almost at 40k now. your tick sounds different. :beer:

·
Registered
256 Posts
The tick that most have is when driving and its around 1200-1800 rpm, not at idle. :beer:
Same here. I own a 6.4L too and the noise at 1200-1800 rpm is normal for this engine (according to my friend who's a diesel FORD tech). Never had any ticking noise when idling.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine only did it at idle sounded identical to the video. Only did it once now hasnt done it in 2000km

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ive often read about the tick these engines make or that a lot of people say they get randomly or short while after an oil change. I have never heard in in 100k miles. Yesterday i drove 450mile trip and got out of the truck lots. It wasn't till I got home i got out of the truck and heard the irregular tick!! It only went away when i revved the truck past 2000rpm then it idled back down and it was gone. It sounded like when i crawled under the truck it was coming from where the engine and trans meet. If its nothing to worry about ill live with it but should I be concerned? I searched on you tube and found this video and its 100% the same noise my truck made.
Thanks for your help

6.4 Ticking - YouTube
I recently bought a 2008 fx4 stock and shortly after deleted the truck and changed the oil and shortly after my truck started making the exact same noisr as yours and i to am wondering if its normal or is something wrong

·
Hunter of Trolls
2,139 Posts
mine rattles, almost like valve clatter, while accelerating.. it doesn't do it unless the engine is under load..

are there any known valve train issues with these things? Do you suppose yours could be a clacking rocker too?

·
Registered
769 Posts
are there any known valve train issues with these things? Do you suppose yours could be a clacking rocker too?

The main problem is rocker arms. There are several theories on why this happens:

1. Crappy rocker arm design
2. Lubrication dilution from regens
3. Too much idling (poor lubrication while idling).

·
Registered
695 Posts
The main problem is rocker arms. There are several theories on why this happens:

1. Crappy rocker arm design
2. Lubrication dilution from regens
3. Too much idling (poor lubrication while idling).
You hit the nail on the head. I have noticed that people who have deleted early in their trucks life (Low milage), have seen a lot less of these issues. I believe that fuel dilution along with poor rocker arm design has caused the bulk of the problems.

Also, maintenance is key on the 6.4.....change your oil every 5,000 miles even if you are deleted. :thumb:

·
Registered
64 Posts
2010 f250 6.4

Mine gets a little noisy before exhaust cleaning and quiets down when finished. Are you given notice when cleaning takes place? I'm stock, 68000 mi. I use ford motorcraft cetane booster and lubricant on every fill up. In this forum you'll find people with stock trucks who are doing just fine with regular maintenance. Ask questions as you are and be wary, far as I'm concerned my truck is fine as is, hope this holds true for 300,000 mi. I towed a 10000 ib trailer 6000 mi without problems.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I started to hear the "tick" right after I changed the oil last time. 2 weeks ago is when i changed it and I jist got bac from a 2800 mile trip. It dosent tick all the time, only during certain engine temps. Such as when its half way warmed up.
I used the Kendall Super DXA with their liquid titanium. Ive heard good things so i tried it.
Previous change was either Valvoline blue or Delo. Those are what i usually use every change at 5000 religously.
I do notice that the tick changed with different tunes. Running the 210TP now and it is not as noticeable with the 175 or the 250..
Im at 45,000 mi now.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mine did I just the one time. Ever since I posted about it, it has not returned

1 - 19 of 19 Posts