Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its sort of urgent for me as I am going to install this tomorrow. I ordered a Turbonetics BB turbo and got it and was spinning the turbo by hand and it feels "loose". I cant reach the company I bought it from or Turbonetics to see if this is normal. Also, when I spin it, it seems to "rub" against the housing (guessing here). Is this normal because it has no oil in it? or did I receive a bad turbo? I have no way of measuring end shaft play, but dont want to put in a bad turbo. Please help!! Thanks in advance. If anyone can call me, that would be ok also. 304 993-9157 (cell)

Joe

·
Desert Shield/Storm Vet
9,092 Posts
Your should have zero in and out play and zero to very little lateral play in the shaft. If it moves enough to be concerned its bad especially if you think its rubbing the housing. Don't install send it back:thumb:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
side to side play is zero, but the up and down is noticeable. may keep trying to call Kevin at BWD. Thanks for the input.

Joe

·
Registered
21 Posts
Feedback

Did you hear back from Kevin yet about the play? I'm considering buying the same turbo.

·
International Threat
13,087 Posts
I have the TN BB...

Don't recall anything other then it being tight...

·
International Threat
13,087 Posts
Just spoke to the guy... the shaft play was just like the turbo he took off... but he got it on there and it's working fine and it's working great.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Talked to maintain yesterday and most things seem to be in order...went ahead with the install and took it for a test run. popped an IC boot loose (my fault) and put it back on. Runs great except for high EGT's. They seem to be around 150 above my stocker:dunno:. I changed my intake when I had it apart from the S&B to the Ford AIS. I have been told by many that the AIS should flow plenty, again I dont know. I do know that my EGT's get high QUICKLY and I am not comfortable with that. I will try some different things and keep you guys posted. Thanks for all of the help.

Joe

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Talked to maintain yesterday and most things seem to be in order...went ahead with the install and took it for a test run. popped an IC boot loose (my fault) and put it back on. Runs great except for high EGT's. They seem to be around 150 above my stocker:dunno:. I changed my intake when I had it apart from the S&B to the Ford AIS. I have been told by many that the AIS should flow plenty, again I dont know. I do know that my EGT's get high QUICKLY and I am not comfortable with that. I will try some different things and keep you guys posted. Thanks for all of the help.

Joe
THATS ODD BECAUSE THE CLAIM YOUR EGTS WILL DROP 150 - 200 DEGRES I WONDER IF THT IS TRUE CAUSE IM GOING TO BE IN THE MARKET FOR A NEW TURBO SOON AND THT IS ONE I WAS LOOKING AT BUT WAS NOT SURE.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
You might want to switch back to the S&B to see if there is any drop. Compared to your old setup.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would like to run the S&B, but wifey doesnt like the whooosh of the wastegate.....doesnt bother me, but I am not in management, I just work here...lol. I may try an open air setup for a few miles to see if the temps come back down or not.

on second thought, I need 2 intakes, one for wifey and one for me towing....that would be the berries;)

Joe

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Also, talked to Kevin (@BWD) and he is calling TN to see if there is something else we should be looking at

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
372 Posts
By wooshing of the wastegate do you mean the EBPV? If so just put the S&B back on and then unplug the EBPV then you will get the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
yea the wastegate makes ZERO noise when it opens, its like a bypass valve in the exhaust housing that the actuator pushes open

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
its the loud whooosh sound you get when you let off of the accelerator after being in it. my wife isnt skeered to drive it....lol, just doesnt like the whooosh. I thought the EBPV only worked when it was cold? This is all of the time.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
its just air getting pushed back through the intake. nothing to do with the EBV:thumb:

·
International Threat
13,087 Posts
I'm going to be testing a Garrett 38R in place of the TN... just to see if the EGT's drop myself. After that I'll be moving to a larger turbo since I'll be introducing even more fuel...

The TN is GREAT, don't get me wrong... it's an AWESOME towing turbo - ZERO SURGE and when you go from 25-30 psi it slams you in your seat. I can't wait to see what happens when it's pegging 40?

Usually high egts mean a boost leak or exhaust leak.

Culprits = upipes, I/C boots, spider boots...

As for the WHOOSH, that's just air coming back out of the inlet of the turbo... that can be minimized by running a lower power program, installing a sheild or adjust the wastegate to allow less psi.

The EBPV is a totally different item, has nothing to do with that sound... but can cause other sounds, like a "hissing" if it's partially closed at idle or driving around.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I cant get 25-30psi:dunno: without the EGT's pegging out....will try and resolve this soon.

·
International Threat
13,087 Posts
I didn't get passed 30 psi until I put stage 3's in...

prior too... it was closer to 25...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts