Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We the stocker just took a dump, 2 years of towing and surging even with a wicked wheel and the thrust bearing got alot loose. Thank god it didnt come apart, it started making noise and blowing oil out on my way home. I was pondering on putting a stocker on it again but I decided to upgrade. I wanted a new one but apparently they are on national back order. I found a used one out of virginia with a 1,000 miles on it. He hooked me up for $1,200 Thanks Alan!!! The turbo should be in on Sat and i will get some pics of the install up. Im excited, cant wait!!! I put down 315 HP on stock injectors and turbo. Im hoping to Put down 400. We will see what happens.....

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
You don't have enough fuel in those stock injectors for 400hp. You will pickup some power but not that much. I hope it does not surge while towing. Some have reported surging is real bad with the 38R.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Clicky linky... Surging 38r...

Video - POS BB turbo surge.

As far as your HP... You will put down about 320 max... Been there.
Yeah that surge is terrible, hopefully i wont have an issue. Although i do tow alot.... I know i will make more than 320, im sitting at 315 right now...The turbo is now coming in on tues, i also had to order a pedistal o-ring and the intake adapter hose.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Nah, you'll be fine.. I have that same turbo and tow a heavy trailer. Mine has never surged.

·
Registered
738 Posts
From what i've read, its usually a specific rpm range where the turbo is taking in more air than the engine can handle at that point. The air is pushed out as the turbo is compressing more air, and it flutters. It can cause damage to the turbo fins or just blow a stock turbo up completely. The GTP38r has been known to surge as well. I haven't heard about any surge in the TN BB turbo, yet

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Yeah that surge is terrible, hopefully i wont have an issue. Although i do tow alot.... I know i will make more than 320, im sitting at 315 right now...The turbo is now coming in on tues, i also had to order a pedistal o-ring and the intake adapter hose.

Have you dyno'ed? I had the same set up and on fuel alone... 320... On meth...350.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes i have had it dynoyed, it made 315RWHP and 660RWTQ

It also ran 9.70's in the 1/8th mile........

Thats was with:

Afe intake
4 inch exhaust
wicked wheel and stock turbo
Banks bighead wastegate actuator
6 POS TS chip with 140 HP swamps tune

Im hoping to make very close to 400 with the Garrett BB GTP38R, of course I will make alot more power down the road with some bigger injectors and a good tranny.

Heres some pics, i had the day off and fiddled around a bit. I just painted the intercooler tubes and the upper intake Y. The turbo should be here tommorrow!!!

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Yes i have had it dynoyed, it made 315RWHP and 660RWTQ

It also ran 9.70's in the 1/8th mile........

Thats was with:

Afe intake
4 inch exhaust
wicked wheel and stock turbo
Banks bighead wastegate actuator
6 POS TS chip with 140 HP swamps tune

Im hoping to make very close to 400 with the Garrett BB GTP38R, of course I will make alot more power down the road with some bigger injectors and a good tranny.

Heres some pics, i had the day off and fiddled around a bit. I just painted the intercooler tubes and the upper intake Y. The turbo should be here tommorrow!!!

I dont mean to burst your bubble... But you WILL NOT make 400hp without fuel... With a 38r, water/meth(40%) and your same basic mods... 351... You will NOT make 400 without stage 2's.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I dont mean to burst your bubble... But you WILL NOT make 400hp without fuel... With a 38r, water/meth(40%) and your same basic mods... 351... You will NOT make 400 without stage 2's.
Your probably right. Injectors are about a year down the road and I need a tranny too. Im going to get it dynoed for the hellof it to see what it makes.....

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Suprising, turbos alone do not make a big jump in HP. You might gain 10-20... Good luck!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think the biggest gain i will see is how much quicker it will spool up and I think it will be a little smoother. And hopefully no surge....

·
Registered
193 Posts
Suprising, turbos alone do not make a big jump in HP. You might gain 10-20... Good luck!
x2 i think the last number i saw was 16hp....
it spooled quicker, and had cooler egts but hpwise was a great disapointment.
as the user was expecting a major chip like change..

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A little update.....

Ive had the turbo on for a while.....

No reported surge while towing and I didnt gain any noticeable power..Looks like its time for some injectors, i should be getting a set in a few weeks. Im gonna start of with some 175 singles. We will see how the tranny likes those first.

Matt

·
Premium Member
2,374 Posts
Most never have any surge issues at all. You will not gain much power with stock injectors, but you will run cooler EGTs as they are much more efficient than the stock turbo.

BTW- The GTP38R is no longer on back order, they are readily available.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts