Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On Sunday, I became a proud Ford truck owner again after going with Dodge for a few years (forgive me :doh:) but this is the first time I have owned a Diesel that didn't have a backhoe on it... I'm wanting to have the best possible MPG plus some added power. All this Tuner, chip, and Programmer talk is confusing as hell to me so if someone would be kind enough to explain all of that to me, it would be much appreciated. I would also like some recommendations on those chips & programmer's, etc., as well as exhaust and intake. I was thinking 5" Magnaflow for my exhaust? I'm not a fan of the stacks so I'm just looking for single outlet. I'm new to the Diesel world, especially Powerstroke world, so I need to know what the best stuff out there is so my rig can be mean!:icon_ford: I would appreciate all input! Thanks and GOD Bless!

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
for your truck most will agree
intake-aem, s&b
exhaust-there all the same go for best price
chip-sct livewire is absolute best for the 6.0

btw you dont need a 5'' exhaust, get a 4'' turbo back. you only need the 5'' exhaust if your truck has upwards of 500hp+

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'll try and answer to the best of my abilities...
You really only need a 4 incher unless you are making big power, but I don't think it will hurt.
Every body on this site seem to swear by the SCT for the 6.0 with some custom tunes.
And I'm sure someone will tell you this, so I will just say it. The stock filter is really good and flows alot better than most stock filters, so it SHOULD be sufficient.
Have fun with your new truck!

·
Registered
111 Posts
for your truck most will agree
intake-aem, s&b
exhaust-there all the same go for best price
chip-sct livewire is absolute best for the 6.0

btw you dont need a 5'' exhaust, get a 4'' turbo back. you only need the 5'' exhaust if your truck has upwards of 500hp+
Damn you beat me too it, what he said.:crazy:

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
lol im on here enough to know by heart

·
Registered
107 Posts
Not meaning to thread jack at all, but how does the SCT system really work? Is it a plug and play? Or do you get the SCT programmer and have people upload tunes?

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
its a plug n play that comes with sct tunes but theres a few people that have custom crazy tunes (looney tune) for it

·
Registered
107 Posts
so it comes from SCT built in with like 3 tunes? and then you can upload tunes from the internet or what? sorry i'm new to fords

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Basically, You are better off buying from a vendor like Raul @ Stealth automotive that sells them included with custom tunes from Innovative Diesel, or DJ's diesel with unlimited tuning for about the same price.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Yes it comes with 3 tunes from sct...However to get the best truck friendly tune you go custom and they will send you programs specific to your truck.....it is worth it and your truck and tranny will love you...Hence you will love your truck!!!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
So is the SCT Livewire the best way to go? I'm going with 4" exhaust I think. Should I get a muffler and/or cat delete?

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
definatley get the cat delete, now the muffler delete is diff, its up to you. if you like a loud i mean really loud truck then delete the muffler, but if you just want a nice more streetable tone then keep the muffler. in my opinion mufflers are for poons!!!

·
Raging Lunatic
8,803 Posts
SCT livewire has both tuner and gauges, if you do custom tunes you need at least a EGT gauge maybe a Temp gauge if you tow a lot. So with that said it's up to you whether you go SCT X3 with external gauges or SCT Livewire.
I run a 4" system turbo back with a small "POON" muffler :wink[3]: and an Airaid cold air intake. I like the CAI because if you maintain it properly you should not have to buy another filter. Also do the Zoodad mod which is cutting a hole in your grill support in front of the intake tube, for a little more sound of the turbo and cold air flow.

Good Luck and welcome to the Org.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
...you guys are awesome. Thanks for your help! I'm driving down to Nashville, TN Saturday night to pick 'er up! GOD Bless ya'll!

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
anytime thats what were here for and oh btw after you get it all installed you need to make a video of the sound and smoke! there always fun to watch

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
Congratulations!

I want to clarify something that I am not sure if everyone knows. The SCT X3 is no longer available with preprogrammed tunes and custom tunes. There are now two models.

The #3015 is the preprogrammed tuner. You can convert it to a custom tuner, as was done with the Xcal 9415 but if you do, you can never download SCT tunes again.

The #3000 is the custom tuner. With it you cannot download preprogrammed tunes, only custom tunes.

If we can be of service, please feel free to contact us.

Thanks,
Vivian

1 - 16 of 16 Posts