Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad just bought an '01 PSD. We farm out in the driest, dustiest part of West Texas and I've heard of problems with the stock airbox letting dirt through... we have some serious powder, guys. Is there any mods for this or should I be worried at all? I'm definitely not going with an oiled filter... so lets go ahead and cross that off the list.

·
Registered
447 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just read the top thread about the "AIS" install. It's the severe duty air filter kit.

Do all your maintenance on the truck and it will last a long time.

·
OperationSmile.org
2,011 Posts
A DIY will filter out alot. I dont know much about the AIS but I have heard good things about it.

·
I have excessive flatulance!!
1,273 Posts
:welcome2: to the org... A DYI napa filter should do the trick..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
hey thanks guys! :thumb: I looked up the AIS and usdieselparts.com has them. Dad (who's actually driving the PSD at this point) is a big fan of stock parts. He doesn't like me tinkering with my Cummins and turning it up and all that stuff... so we'll probably go with the AIS setup since it looks pretty stock. Sounds a LOT like the BHAF mod I have on my Cummins. I might just tear into that pretty soon. Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oh, btw, ya'll are gonna laugh at how we wound up with an '01 PSD... Dad's '07 Duramax broke down and he had enough while it was in the shop... haha

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
AFE stage 2 intake with a prefilter sock.
Oiled filters don't work in our part of the world... seriously. I've seen the dirt in a turbo from a properly oiled filter. Definitely not goin that route... If oiled filters were that great in the powder, John Deere would use em, but they don't.

·
Registered
53 Posts
:welcome2:

:tex::tex::tex:

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
honestly, have your dad check this BB out... I did the DIY napa style air filter, it's cheap, easy to do, and easy to find. Took me about 15 minutes to install, start to finish, and all my orig parts will fit right back on, no perminant mods, all bolt in. Do a search for the filter part number (I dont' remember right off hand, might be NAPA 6637? Maybe WIX 46637?), any parts store should cross to something they have... I paid about $45 for my filter... $5 more in a hose clamp, and a 3" long pc of 4" exhaust pipe. Done. Easy. AWESOME air intake sound! (Maybe we won't tell your dad about that part just yet!!) seems like 3 times more filter area...
Gauges, DIY intake, and straight pipe the exhust... simple & cheap mods. Good luck with your new truck...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
honestly, have your dad check this BB out... I did the DIY napa style air filter, it's cheap, easy to do, and easy to find. Took me about 15 minutes to install, start to finish, and all my orig parts will fit right back on, no perminant mods, all bolt in. Do a search for the filter part number (I dont' remember right off hand, might be NAPA 6637? Maybe WIX 46637?), any parts store should cross to something they have... I paid about $45 for my filter... $5 more in a hose clamp, and a 3" long pc of 4" exhaust pipe. Done. Easy. AWESOME air intake sound! (Maybe we won't tell your dad about that part just yet!!) seems like 3 times more filter area...
Gauges, DIY intake, and straight pipe the exhust... simple & cheap mods. Good luck with your new truck...
Hey thanks for the info, but I had dad order the AIS intake last night. I'll put it in as soon as we get it. I did the BHAF mod you're talking about on my dodge and I definitely love it. I don't think he would go for having to take that clamp and everything off every time that it needs servicing... and out here they have to be blown out every 3-5,000 miles pretty much. I don't mind doing it on mine because I understand the benefits of it, but he won't. So anyways, thanks for the information guys, I'll have it taken care of soon.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts