Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am just curious what a 96 or 97 7.3L with the following specs will be able to kill:

Napa filter mod
4" straight pipe
TS 6 position chip
5 speed
4x4

Will it beat a stock 6.0L auto?

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
i bet it could if you were running 140 hp setting

·
Registered
79 Posts
Mines a late 99 model with the same mods as you running 35s. I can beat a stock 6 uh oh with exhaust, while I am in my 75 tune. Its a close 1/8th mile race though. And traction and take off may be a factor. And the fact I have drag race experience. But I can beat him.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
79 Posts
Sorry just saw that you have a 5 speed. Mines the auto. If you can bang the gears fast enough you've got him and then some in the 140 tune. I know I ran a solid 1.5 seconds faster than my buds 6.0

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
840 Posts
to be honest i dont think youll take him..... maybe with an auto. but i dont know

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
If you are buying your OBS to be a race rocket you are going to be disappointed unless you do a lot more than the basic mods you listed. You will need bigger oil, bigger air and bigger fuel. Especially with the ZF5 trans which is notoriously slow shifting.

Make a few practice runs, you will see what I'm talking about and you will not embarrass yourself when you roll up to the line for the first time in your new truck :thumb:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not buying it to be a speed demon, but I was just curious. In a tug, how do you think I'd fare? I'd be buying a truck to be used as a truck, but he is pretty competitive. I'm just curious about it all.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
take it from a 6 speed owner you wont row the gears quick enough you will lose boost and he will pull away...

i have raced a few different trucks dodges and 6.0L fords, shifting and keepin boost is pretty hard I want a different turbo that will spool faster then the stock one just have not picked one out yet

if you practise you will get better and have a better chance

·
Registered
769 Posts
take it from a 6 speed owner you wont row the gears quick enough you will lose boost and he will pull away...

i have raced a few different trucks dodges and 6.0L fords, shifting and keepin boost is pretty hard I want a different turbo that will spool faster then the stock one just have not picked one out yet

if you practise you will get better and have a better chance

^^^^^ What he said....

·
Registered
647 Posts
Your issues will be shifting fast enough, and obviously loosing boost every time you put the clutch in. The stock turbo seemed to build boost very slowly when I had just my TS tunes. Half of each gear would just be spent building back boost I lost when I shifted. Auto doesn't skip a beat in terms of boost loss.

Those are always going to be two issues when trying to get a manual to go fast. It gets better when your turbo better matches the fuel though. My truck with stage 2' already has 35psi+ before I can get the pedal all the way back down the the floor. You still drop boost, but not for nearly as long. ZF5 as stated before....it still takes all day to change gears :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
yea I say it would be close if u had an auto with a 140 tune and the tranny was tight, but because its a shaker it would be tough.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts