Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 f450 KR and when it is on defrost or a/c i get a clunking noise every 60 seconds or so..... just one clunk at a time does it once then it's gone. i can feel it in the floor boards and it sounds like it is coming from passenger side. thanks in advance.

Kevin

·
Registered
301 Posts
No clunking here. Why in the heck would you have air conditioning? Cooling anyway, I know ya need the heat!!!. Sorry I'm an aircraft mech. Most folks don't realize air conditioning also means heat.

737tdi

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I can't say I've ever heard it.

I can say that I use a/c year around in the south if needed. Not so much where it's dry but in the near 100% humidity we have it seems to work much better. Of course you still put the heat on with the compressor running. Doesn't the compressor come on when you use defrost?

Basically when I see a/c I think compressor. Hot or cold. As in the auto part 'a/c compressor'.

·
Registered
54 Posts
You just bought the truck, take it to the dealer... and make them fix it!!!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hey Kevin, I have a 05' F250 and mine does the same thing,but not all the time. It drives me up a wall.( only does it when the A/C is on).

·
Registered
168 Posts
Not sure if the systems are anywhere close to the same but my 04 Expedition did that and they replaced the compressor and I think the evaparator and it quit doing it. Same thing though, mine would rattle the floor boards when it did it.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Mine does it as well, i dont worry about it i guess, just thought it was the compressor clutch engaging and disengaging... mine makes a similar clunking while switching from p to d or p to r

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mine also makes that noise. I guess I figured it was normal... Let us know if you bring it in and they are able to fix it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 08 6.4 that had a noise in the passanger floor, Found that the down pipe was hitting the frame.I repositioned the pipe with a prybar to give proper clearance .The pipe is on a compression flange to the turbo so it came be pushed over with out having to loosen the bolts.Worked for me no trip to the dealer.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
I talked to Marc about this a few months back. All it is, is vaccum closing a valve. mine does it everytime. some are louder then others. He said it was normal for this to happen.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Ah yes. That noise. I have not heard it on this truck but I have heard it before on others. If that's what it is though it should only do it when you change the air flow. Does the air change direction when you hear the noise?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
no it does not change direction. the dealer says it is normal and some trucks are louder than others....

·
Registered
106 Posts
Reviving this topic. My 08 F350 KR has a clunking noise every 20 seconds (yep, timed it)when the defrost is on. Any ideas?

·
Registered
931 Posts
open your hood and watch the AC compressor pulley. they click when they engage, and cycle like that. i dont think youll be able to hear it in side the truck though =\

good luck

·
Registered
42 Posts
It is the compressor clutch you are hearing and there is a TSB on it, take it to your dealer. I think they install a different accumulator on the ac system.

·
Registered
390 Posts
It is the compressor clutch you are hearing and there is a TSB on it, take it to your dealer. I think they install a different accumulator on the ac system.
can this TSB be found online? I would like to have in hand if I took to my dealer...so they dont just blow it off

·
Registered
42 Posts
this is what I have found

A/C clunk :TSB 09-4-1 - AC ACCUMULATOR ASSY - thumping or bang noise from the A/C unit. This noise happened each time the A/C engaged.

I think this is the one.......

1 - 20 of 25 Posts