Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I don't know what you mean by "non-Powerstroke" rated oil, but what I do know, is that using too thick of a viscosity of engine oil CAN actually slow down engine cranking RPM by as much as 30%.
Sorry for the unclear defintion! What I wanted to express was the possibility, that the engine oil could be not the one which Ford claims to use with the powerstroke engines. I read that a wrong oil-type can lead to foaming in the high pressure system, which would explain to me the low oil pressure (ICP), but I do not think that the foaming condition will be present while cranking.

We are now trying to get the correct/higher cranking rpms and then read the ICP values. We can also change the ICP sensor + connector as suggested, but as far as I understand the system, this cannot be the cause for the not starting condition, right?

thanks again!

Eugen

·
Premium Member
2,584 Posts
Sorry for the unclear defintion! What I wanted to express was the possibility, that the engine oil could be not the one which Ford claims to use with the powerstroke engines. I read that a wrong oil-type can lead to foaming in the high pressure system, which would explain to me the low oil pressure (ICP), but I do not think that the foaming condition will be present while cranking.

We are now trying to get the correct/higher cranking rpms and then read the ICP values. We can also change the ICP sensor + connector as suggested, but as far as I understand the system, this cannot be the cause for the not starting condition, right?

thanks again!

Eugen
As I indicated in my previous post, on a 6.0L that starts normally, if you watch ICP psi and IPR duty cycle, within less than 5 seconds ICP pressure will usually rise to about 1,200 or so psi (when only 500 is required to start), and IPR duty cycle will barely even touch 45 to 50% before the engine fires up. Again, that's on a 6.0L engine that has no issues.

On the vehicle in question, you indicated that ICP will only build to 368 psi (0.57 volts), and IPR duty cycle will reach the maximum 84.77% duty cycle (which is the highest that IPR will reach while cranking the engine). How many seconds of engine cranking does it take for these values to be achieved? What is the ambient temperature where you are located?

Again, the reason for suggesting replacement of the ICP sensor and connector are for TWO reasons. Number one, you indicated a key-on/engine-off voltage reading of 0.16 volts which is on the very low side (the range is 0.18 to 0.24 volts). This alone, tells me the PCM is not receiving accurate ICP input from this sensor. Replacing these two parts may or may not resolve your no-start issue. But, due to the high failure rate of this sensor on 2003 model years, it is highly suggested to address this NOW, so that you won't need to, in the future.

Lastly, do you have any information that you can obtain, regarding the cetane rating of the fuel in your geographic location. These engines require low to mid 40s cetane ratings to run at their optimum, which is why I ALWAYS strongly advocate use of Ford's cetane booster and anti-gel additives.

·
Premium Member
2,584 Posts
What I wanted to express was the possibility, that the engine oil could be not the one which Ford claims to use with the powerstroke engines. I read that a wrong oil-type can lead to foaming in the high pressure system, which would explain to me the low oil pressure (ICP), but I do not think that the foaming condition will be present while cranking.
As long as the engine oil bears the API certification rating CJ-4 for DIESEL engines, it IS the appropriate oil to be used with the anti-foaming agent. As mentioned is one of my previous posts, these engines seem to run better with Ford's 10W30 oil (diesel engine oil, not to be confused with gasoline engine oil).

·
Registered
19 Posts
As I indicated in my previous post, on a 6.0L that starts normally, if you watch ICP psi and IPR duty cycle, within less than 5 seconds ICP pressure will usually rise to about 1,200 or so psi (when only 500 is required to start), and IPR duty cycle will barely even touch 45 to 50% before the engine fires up. Again, that's on a 6.0L engine that has no issues.
I am amazed at the amount of help that you provide on the site - it really helps me (at least) try to diag my truck before bringing it back for service - I see that you said that it should climb to 1200 - my truck - from printed report from the dealer - match all the paramaters - but the pressure only got to about 800 psi - not 1200 - and it takes every bit of 3.5-4 secs to get to start after a cold soak - is that a sign ( not verifyable by the scan too ) that there is a hpop leak ( in your opinion and i know that it would be just that )- and the pressure is leaking back - when i turn the key on after cold soak - the fuel pump will "run or prime" whine for at least as long as it takes for the glow light to go off - that would constitute a bleed back - the dealer told me that the pressure is supposed to bleed back - and not hold pressure, Thanks for all the feedback and take care..

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm following this as I am further from civilization than you are, and have had my 2003 6.0 out of service for 2 years with different mechanics. I think we are finally getting somewhere with an EGR valve problem.

Two suggestions:
1. I am in the oil business. The foaming problems were solved completely with the CI-4, so anything after that it good. BUT if your sulfur is high, I do not recommend CJ-4. It was designed for 15 ppm sulfur in the diesel. Here in Bolivia our Sulfur is limited to 2000 ppm, but we get diesel from Venezuela where their limit is 15,000 ppm. Just look for a good CI-4, preferably group II base oil or better.

2. I have found that my best parts source is
"Ford Parts" At Bowen Scarff - Formally 1stfordparts.com .
They have on-line ordering and pricing, and are really good over the phone with no hassles, take foreign issue VISA cards, etc. I use my MagicJack to call them so the call is free. They usually have parts in stock and ship the same day. It takes UPS two days to get parts from their warehouse in Washington State (USA) to Bolivia. (6 days by FedEx). DHL might be better for Europe. The $350 EGR valve I ordered yesterday for $189 plus $125 for UPS will be delivered tomorrow, and customs here usually doesn't bother with small parts sent to my home.

·
Registered
380 Posts
hotncold, it is normal for the fuel pump to run for that amount of time when you first turn on the key. It will do that every time you turn the key on. That is normal and doesn't indicate a problem.

m-chan, thanks for your posts here. I'm enjoying the education. :cool:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sorry guys to bring up an old thread but my 06 6.0 has been in and out of the dealership now with this starting issue.. in the morning/when the motors cold, the truck starts fine with no issues (though cranks more than the 3 seconds it used to take).. when its warm, tough luck, it will not move.. just cranks and cranks for days..

Any ideas? Ford has no clue and im lost... i just bought this truck in sept with 30k and ive put 7k so far.... the truck was perfect prior to this issue. all service records and such..

·
Registered
380 Posts
What has the dealer done to it so far?

Check out the 6.0 no-start link in my signature.

Find another dealer that knows how to properly diagnose a 6.0. :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
I am haveing the same problem but I don't have access to any scan tools. I took it to the dealer and they said it showed no codes so the next step was to pull the valve covers to check the injectors and possibly an oil leak or HPOP problem. Is this typical? the tech said it is a rare case - usually there are codes present.

·
Administrator
30,871 Posts
this thread is dead and old ( I realize you found it on a search .. but ) .. start a new one and post all pertinant info

21 - 30 of 30 Posts