Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

Thanks for all the great info I found on this site when I was shopping for a used F-350! I just brought it home last week and want to know what I should do before driving it more. Here are the stats:

Early '99 F-350 SRW Ext Cab 7.3L w/ 115 K miles
Auto Trans w/ Manual 4WD

I just bought gauges, intake, 6.0L trans cooler, spare CMP sensor, and HPOP O-rings (slight leak). I'm about to do full fluid and filter changes and that's all I know to do right now. Everything seems to be working OK, and I checked it out as thoroughly as I could before buying.

Is there anything else I should be doing right now? I'm concerned about the trans of course (know it was used for snowplow once, but don't believe it ever towed much). Cooler will address a lot I know, but should I consider a TC (don't really want to spend another $1k though) or valve body to avoid premature failures?

Thanks,

Ben Shoemaker

·
Registered
601 Posts
first i believe you meant CPS sensor, correct?
you should look into an aftermarket intake, or at least inspect yours for any cracks or signs of leaking. the tabs that hold the top down are weak and often break.
if you dont have a programmer or chip and dont plan on getting one i dont think a VB or tc are important.
:ORG welcome:

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
H e says he already bought a intake, but he didn't say which one he bought. Besides changing all fluids and filters not much else to do except start modding. I disagree a VB will help a stock powertrain, because is shortens the shifts considerably and this will cut down on your clutch pack wear. I would add the VB but hold off on a TC unless yours starts to slip. I like the FTVB for the VB and for a TC I would use a 6.0 converter, not drop in but drill two holes is all that is needed. You do know your PS system takes ATF and not PS fluid? I would use synthetic in the PS. For the trans the only fluid you should use in Mercon/Dextron III, nothing else. This fluid was no loner made as of June last year, so I would buy a couple extra cases. With the 6.0 cooler you will need right close to 5 gal per flush/change. I would check all four calipers for frozen slide pins, this is maintenance that most over look. Use Ford caliper grease to lube them. PM me with any ? Also brake fluid should be completely flushed every 2 years.

NCH

·
Registered
601 Posts
ok it looks like i was wrong about everything on that post....now im wondering what is the cmp?? and i did miss that part saying he bought an intake.
and as far as the VB i didnt say it wouldnt help, i just said i dont think it is to important on a stock truck.

·
What u talkin bout willis
2,724 Posts
what is a cmp sensor

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,020 Posts
Ford recognizes both guys...CMP and CPS. They are both the same thing.

People call it a CPS because they think it stands for Cam Positioning Sensor. The part is actually called CMP. Use either abbreviation, and you'll end up with the right thing.

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
CPS is the recognized term, and everyone should carry a spare. As I said also, if the VB shortens the shift duration of the trans, it means less friction, less wear on clutch packs and less heat, all of these are good on a stock powertrain as well as a modified one.

NCH

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
what is a cmp sensor
Here is the discription right out of the Ford PC/ED servive manual.

Camshaft Position Sensor
The PCM receives engine rotational position information from the Camshaft Position (CMP) sensor. The CMP is a hall-effect device. It outputs 12 volts to the PCM whenever it detects the iron of a spoked target wheel in front of it, and it outputs 0 volts whenever it detects the space between the spokes. The target wheel spokes and spaces are each 15 crank degrees, except for narrow spoke which indicates cylinder No. 1 and a wide spoke which indicates cylinder No. 4 (fires 5th). The NGS PID RPM is generated by the PCM from the CMP signal.

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,020 Posts
Here is the discription right out of the Ford PC/ED servive manual.

Camshaft Position Sensor
The PCM receives engine rotational position information from the[highlight] Camshaft Position (CMP) sensor. The CMP is a hall-effect device. [/highlight]It outputs 12 volts to the PCM whenever it detects the iron of a spoked target wheel in front of it, and it outputs 0 volts whenever it detects the space between the spokes. The target wheel spokes and spaces are each 15 crank degrees, except for narrow spoke which indicates cylinder No. 1 and a wide spoke which indicates cylinder No. 4 (fires 5th). The NGS PID RPM is generated by the PCM from the CMP signal.
Thank you very much. :approve:

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, actually I bought the AFE Stage 2 - probably a waste of money but the stock airbox had a broken tab (I did look at the turbo and intake before I bought it though - pretty much dust free) and it's an early 99 so what the hell. The more I look at it, it's part early 99 and part mid 99 (build date Nov 1998). All badging looks later, engine is early model, but all dates and numbers match exactly. I will go for synth mercon in the power steering and grease the caliper slide pins, good call. I may do a chip at some point, so I'll probably shoot for the valve body when I do the trans cooler.

Thanks guys - this is an amazing resource.

Ben

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,020 Posts
The cut-off date for early '99 and late '99 is 12-8-98. I'd say you're all early '99. :thumb:

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
I forgot to mention I would also have a oil analysis done ASAP. You would be amazed at what they can tell you about the health of your PSD. I usually recommend folks have them done prior to purchase, but in your case that's a little to late. I do mine every third oil change and I use Blackstone. I good analysis can make you aware of a problem before it becomes a failure.
NCH

1 - 14 of 14 Posts