Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I’m brand new here. Just acquired a 2005 Ford F-350 6.0 lariat yesterday. I have a couple of questions pertaining to its reliability, given its notorious reputation. This f350 I bought is a 1 owner truck with 80,000 original miles. It was stock up until the 60,000 mile marker, when the owner did engine work to it. it has been studded. I’ve attached both the build sheet and receipt for engine work. Assuming it was well maintained and assuming I continue to maintain it, how long can I expect this truck to last, given its modifications? Is it going to be reliable? Also, what can I do to make it more reliable? Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Well...the build sheet lists "head blots." Not sure what a blot is. I'd expect a shop to specifically point out STUDS if they had been installed...

Reactions: Treehick

·
Compression Ignition Addict
7,081 Posts
Crazy money on the Banks stuff. may not be the best with head blots, but may be ok with studs.

Also wonder what type of coolant was put in (the color may be a clue).

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
My biggest worry would be that there is there no machining of heads/checking clearances on there. It's a very vague and bland work order.

·
7,081 Posts
Yup.

Why no oil change, only standpipes but no dummy plugs, no turbo gaskets, (in addition to no machining), etc.

·
Administrator
22,420 Posts
Haha "the big hoss bundle"... amazing. and they charged them for public display of affection??

That was 10 years ago, and no mention of machine work... that truck is getting less reliable by the day.

Post a pic of the degas bottle.

There is a lot of reading to do:

Specifically here:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
spoke with the shop that did the work. they have a very good reputation from what i can tell on verified online reviews. they tell me that every set of heads are machined when they stud an engine, no exceptions, and that they have separate invoices for machining, as they send them out to be done at a machine shop, not their own. invoice for that maybe lost now. If what he tells me is true, machine work was done.

·
7,081 Posts
Since they listed "additive" right under "coolant", I assume they put in a green coolant - one that requires SCA's. If no one has added SCA's since the coolant was first put in, you might want to check it with tests strips - or better yet change it out to an EC-1 rated ELC coolant.

·
7,081 Posts
spoke with the shop that did the work. they have a very good reputation from what i can tell on verified online reviews. they tell me that every set of heads are machined when they stud an engine, no exceptions, and that they have separate invoices for machining, as they send them out to be done at a machine shop, not their own. invoice for that maybe lost now. If what he tells me is true, machine work was done.
Please post some links to the on-line reviews. I couldn't find them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Please post some links to the on-line reviews. I couldn't find them.
ill look into the coolant. the Shop relocated down the road from their previous location in 2013.

look up -
Rollin Coal Customs
14674 33 Mile Rd, Romeo, MI 48065

·
Premium Member
4,986 Posts
Get a monitor to keep an eye on the engine parameters
add a fuel pressure gauge
add a base oil pressure gauge
stay with Ford filters

Most of these trucks have good reliability, long as you arent reaming on it
the ones that have problems likely can be traced back to poor maintenance
or being "rode hard and put away wet"

·
Premium Member
2,667 Posts
These guys are all liars. These trucks suck!

I'll give ya $5k for it :D

-jokester

Reactions: Heavy_GD and Hydro

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys! I’m brand new here. Just acquired a 2005 Ford F-350 6.0 lariat yesterday. I have a couple of questions pertaining to its reliability, given its notorious reputation. This f350 I bought is a 1 owner truck with 80,000 original miles. It was stock up until the 60,000 mile marker, when the owner did engine work to it. it has been studded. I’ve attached both the build sheet and receipt for engine work. Assuming it was well maintained and assuming I continue to maintain it, how long can I expect this truck to last, given its modifications? Is it going to be reliable? Also, what can I do to make it more reliable? Thanks everyone! View attachment 772430 View attachment 772431
Honestly, the 6.0L isn't THAT bad of an engine, it's just a matter of keeping up with maintenance. If your 6.0 is bulletproofed, deleted, and you have quality head studs and means of cooling for the engine, the 6.0 is an extremely powerful and reliable engine. so, if you haven't done these things, I suggest you do them:
EGR delete
Head studs
CTS-3 display to monitor critical stats like boost, EGTs, MPG, engine temp, trans temp, and others
Fuel pressure upgrade kit
turbo-back exhaust,
and if you do not want to delete, get an aftermarket EGR cooler with high cooling capabilities

·
Premium Member
2,667 Posts
Honestly, the 6.0L isn't THAT bad of an engine, it's just a matter of keeping up with maintenance. If your 6.0 is bulletproofed, deleted, and you have quality head studs and means of cooling for the engine, the 6.0 is an extremely powerful and reliable engine. so, if you haven't done these things, I suggest you do them:
EGR delete
Head studs
CTS-3 display to monitor critical stats like boost, EGTs, MPG, engine temp, trans temp, and others
Fuel pressure upgrade kit
turbo-back exhaust,
and if you do not want to delete, get an aftermarket EGR cooler with high cooling capabilities
LIES...ALL LIES!!!!

OK, i'll give you $6K... :D

-jokester

Reactions: Hydro and Heavy_GD
1 - 20 of 25 Posts