Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 02 7.3, found oil on the ground and traced it to the valley. Took it to the dealer and was told it would be $150.00. They called me and said the HPOP was failing and it would be $1600.00 +. I told them to leave it be and I would like to investigate it further.
I do see oil under the fuel filter, is it possible for this to be just a seal or fitting issue, and can it be repaired by oneself at home. Can I replace the pump myself, I am mechanically inclined but haqve never worked on this truck, or any diesel.

·
a truck
13,142 Posts
Sounds like your HPOP o rings are leaking, if you do it yourself its all of a 8 dollar fix for the two new o rings

·
Lifetime Premium Member
6,100 Posts

see if its leaking here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oil leak

Hey, thanks for the replies! I cleaned the area around the fuel/water separator real good. I started the engine and gave it some revs, but did not find visable leaks on the hoses. Perhaps it is coming for the gasket/o-ring behind the pump. I believe I would like to change the pump if I have to do surgery anyway, if I can find one. Any more maintenance I might as well do while I'm in there?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Get one of the UV dye kits they are worth there weight in gold for finding oil leaks in A/C, Oil, Coolant etc

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,020 Posts
You need to get in there with a flashlight and a mirror while it is running. If there is only oil in ther rear of the valley, it is probably leaking from your o-rings on the turbo pedestal. If there is oil in the front and rear of the valley, it is most likely leaking from the o-rings at your HPO lines. Don't just replace the pump yet. It is polly OK. This is an easy fix!!

Here is a good instruction sheet for the repair....so I don't have to type it all :hehe:

http://www.dieselorings.com/docs/fullHPOP.pdf

Here is where to order the o-ring from:

Replacement O-rings for Diesel Engines

Here are a couple pics of what you are looking for:

This is a video borrowed from Shane(sea71). Keep in mind this leak is coming from the topside and is easy to see. Mine in the past has leaked from the bottom side of the fitting. That is why the flashlight and mirror are necessary.

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
You can also oder the AE software and see what PSI the HPOP is putting out. If it is weak you can get the adrenaline pump from Dieselsite for $500. I have no idea where they are getting $1600. I do agree the most common areas are the O rings on the HPOP lines. I have also seen high mileage trucks drip oil from the intake boots and down into the valley. Doing the CCV mod will cure the oil in the intake.

CCV Mod

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also have a small oil seep coming from this same area, but it is not either one of those 3 spots. is there a gasket on the front of the oil pump that could be leaking? Thanks

·
Registered
574 Posts
Did you happen to see how old this thread is your replying to?

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have an 02 7.3, found oil on the ground and traced it to the valley. Took it to the dealer and was told it would be $150.00. They called me and said the HPOP was failing and it would be $1600.00 +. I told them to leave it be and I would like to investigate it further.
I do see oil under the fuel filter, is it possible for this to be just a seal or fitting issue, and can it be repaired by oneself at home. Can I replace the pump myself, I am mechanically inclined but haqve never worked on this truck, or any diesel.
Like you, I too am not a mechanic but "mechanically inclined" and not an idiot. I'm finding that, with the help of the experienced and knowledgable people here willing to help who find great self-satisfaction in seeing that help result in the success of others, there's very little, helped along by Internet articles, that you can't do on your own. And the real advantage is the fact that you get to know your truck. Understanding how things are fixed helps you understand how other dissimilar things fix and I at least find myself with a greater amount of security in knowing that, while towing our horses, if we do have an issue, I'll at least be better equipped to fix the issue myself or know that the descriptions I'm giving a qualified mechanic coupled with his responses will better enable me to decide whether or not this guy is a trustworthy, experienced mechanic or just a country dickhead out to fleece what he perceives to be an uninformed diesel owner. At the very least, in the event that you believe that you're not qualified to do the repair yourself and choose a "professional" to effect the fix, asking him to describe his fix as he goes along, coupled of course with the end results, will further educate you. The short answer is, IMHO anyway, know your truck. There are too many excellent, qualified, willing people on this and other forums for you not to. I'm having a great time fixing things, investigating what I find on these forums and learning my truck. Even changing all the fluids after purchasing this truck has taught me how the inner functions work enabling me to logically attempt to evaluate other issues and then question the experts on this forum for correction or validation. Again, if I wanted a "just get me from her to there looking flashy" truck, I'd of bought a brand new one. Half the fun and all the pride of owning these trucks in top mechanical and aesthetic order lies in the fact that I'm doing as much of it myself as I can. Again, JMHO as a newbie.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts