Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Remote oil cooler or OEM?

Backflushed oc 3hrs little change. Flushed with restore and restore + then back flushed oc with shop air and water, no change. Did 1 last restore + flush now going to put in new oil cooler on the 15th.

Anyone know the avg shop labor hrs for remote OC?

Thanks!!

·
Administrator
32,526 Posts
do the OEM remote relocation ( although now BPD uses their 6.7 cooler in the kit
I think it is the best option

·
Administrator
32,526 Posts
they 6.7 oil cooler is larger than the 6.0 and BPD uses their own version that is even larger than the stock one

they can be back flushed in minutes and keep the temps closer to OEM than the remote air to oil options

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
they 6.7 oil cooler is larger than the 6.0 and BPD uses their own version that is even larger than the stock one

they can be back flushed in minutes and keep the temps closer to OEM than the remote air to oil options
Do you get higher temps with remote coolers?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have two customer trucks one has the oem setup which has a delta of about 6 degrees and the other truck has the BPD air to oil and the oil always runs cooler than the coolant. The air to oil cooler usually runs about 4 degrees cooler during the peak of the summer and about 15 degrees cooler during the winter months. I even run the air to oil setup on my personal truck. Best mod for the 6.0.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Are you doing the install yourself? I would stick to the BPD remote mount OEM style oil cooler if the budget allows. Or just replace it with a new Motorcraft oil cooler (much cheaper) and switch over to an ELC coolant (and a coolant filtration system). If it ever fails you can always tear the truck apart [again] to replace (not a big deal, right?). If you don't have it equipped already maybe install a coolant filtration system and run it a bit to capture some residual crud before the new install? I'm sure you already know, but the LEGEND Diesel Tech Ron has two beautiful videos that will guide you. I'm sure you've seen them but here's a link anyways (this is for the BPD remote mount; he has another full length in depth video also which is nothing but a work of brilliance):

<MAY GOD REST HIS SOUL >

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are you doing the install yourself? I would stick to the BPD remote mount OEM style oil cooler if the budget allows. Or just replace it with a new Motorcraft oil cooler (much cheaper) and switch over to an ELC coolant (and a coolant filtration system). If it ever fails you can always tear the truck apart [again] to replace (not a big deal, right?). If you don't have it equipped already maybe install a coolant filtration system and run it a bit to capture some residual crud before the new install? I'm sure you already know, but the LEGEND Diesel Tech Ron has two beautiful videos that will guide you. I'm sure you've seen them but here's a link anyways (this is for the BPD remote mount; he has another full length in depth video also which is nothing but a work of brilliance):

<MAY GOD REST HIS SOUL >
Paying local shop, much more relaxing for me and my family if I go work a day and half of OT. Instead of speaking to the Lord for 2 days working on my truck:).

Coolant system had some rusty residue and scaling so I restore + 2x. Switched over to elc and I'm running it with coolant filter for next 1.5 weeks before having new OC put in.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've had my BPD air to oil with remote filter for roughly 2-3 years and never had an issue. The oil is slower to get up to temperature, in the winter (30 to 65-ish degrees) the highest i see it is 180-185. The air plus larger capacity doesnt get to full temp, i'd like minimum 185+. During the summer (100 to 117-ish) the oil still takes it time to warm up.. but once warm it hovers about 190-102. All those temps are unloaded. I will say, the electrical fan didnt turn on when i felt it should it traffic.. i think since air will cool in a air to oil, you'll need to go with the 7.3 fan update(or is it downgrade idk). The the water pump is "right there" so....

I did do my own... took me about a month with 1-2 hours a day. Bags... notes.. pictures...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Paying local shop, much more relaxing for me and my family if I go work a day and half of OT. Instead of speaking to the Lord for 2 days working on my truck:).

Coolant system had some rusty residue and scaling so I restore + 2x. Switched over to elc and I'm running it with coolant filter for next 1.5 weeks before having new OC put in.
Sounds like a plan!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the remote OEM coolant to oil cooler sees the same temps as OEM
the air to oil can get hotter, but they eliminate all the coolant related issues
Is the labor hrs for remote similar OEM OC?

Any other upgrades I should consider when it's all torn apart?

·
Administrator
32,526 Posts
hmm maybe another 2 hours for relocating stuff and pulling the driver battery tray
but it is sooo much more pleasant to do this upgrade than a replacement that could have issues again and your back to square 1

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hmm maybe another 2 hours for relocating stuff and pulling the driver battery tray
but it is sooo much more pleasant to do this upgrade than a replacement that could have issues again and your back to square 1
Would you consider any other upgrades or just because you have the truck apart items to take care of?

·
Administrator
32,526 Posts
depends on what you have for EGR cooler now
and then what updated oem parts you may need ,, plus maybe a turbo rebuild

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just made the upgrade to the remote Bullet Proof HD oil cooler. It is pricy but well worth it I think. I have had no issues a nd my temp have averaged 10-15 degrees cooler. I also like the better and larger oil filtration.
I personal know two people that have the Bullet Proof Remote oil cooler system in place on there current 6.0 for over two years and they love it and no issues.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just made the upgrade to the remote Bullet Proof HD oil cooler. It is pricy but well worth it I think. I have had no issues a nd my temp have averaged 10-15 degrees cooler. I also like the better and larger oil filtration.
I personal know two people that have the Bullet Proof Remote oil cooler system in place on there current 6.0 for over two years and they love it and no issues.
Did you install yourself? If not how much did the shop charge for install??

IPR valve?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Labor for just the install was $1250
Be sure and put a new IPR valve in while it is apart. I had mine fail (clogged up) after only a few miles. Expensive to go back into.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts