Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the middle of replacing my power steering gear box and am wondering how you can tell the joint on the steering shaft is going bad? If it is bad, how do you replace it?

·
BANNED by Kris
6,317 Posts
The stock flex joint on the steering shaft is just a round piece of rubber. I think it's about 1/2" thick. Its bad when it feels dry and / or cracking and the mounting rivets look like they are starting to pull through. May also show a lot of flex too. Mine was wasted at 120,000. I replaced it with this one (cut to fit, length) and have been very satisfied. It is replaceable without removing anything else from the truck

Borgeson Ford F-250 Steering Shaft 000982

[EDIT, sorry, I didn't answer your second question and I realize that you already have the shaft off the box but I'm starting from the beginning because we are not the only ones on here that will read this. It is good info to someone that hasn't done it before]

Lift the front of the truck off the ground. The parts are indexed BUT pay very close attention to the direction of the tires and the steering wheel. You will need to rotate the steering system but return everything back to straight before you install the new shaft.

Rotate the steering wheel a little at a time till you can see through the wheel well (or under from under the truck) and can see the shafts retention bolt on the joint near the steering box (really close to the box itself). There is a lot of shielding on the stock shaft that you will need to move around. The bolt needs to be unscrewed entirely and you'll see why after you get the shaft off. With the bolt removed you may need to use a pry bar to remove the shaft from the box as time will make these things stick on. With it off move to the fire wall. Remove the couple bolts holding the dust shield from the firewall and move inside the truck under the drivers side of the dash. Rotate the steering wheel till you see the upper shaft retention bolt. Same as the lower it needs to be completely removed. pry/ work the shaft off the splines off the top. When I removed mine it looked like the shaft would come out the bottom of the truck but it ended up easier to remove out the top. To install work backwards.

Reactions: ptp

·
BANNED by Kris
6,317 Posts
Agreed but it took a good amount of slop out of the system once installed.

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
The stock flex joint on the steering shaft is just a round piece of rubber.
AKA "rag joint" - technological holdover from when "I Love Lucy" was on the air. Inspection procedure - observe joint. If it's original, it's [email protected] - replace. My wife got a Flaming River shaft, with real u-joints at both ends (similar to the Borgeson linked above), but IIRC, it was somewhat less expensive than the Borgeson.

·
Registered
205 Posts
is there any certain brands to stay away from? how long does it take to change it out?

·
BANNED by Kris
6,317 Posts
I only know of these two brands. They are close to being the same also. Hour maybe for the swap. You already have the bottom off and that's the one that will give you problems. The one I posted up I know you will have to cut so plan on having a chop saw or grinder with a cut-off wheel before hand. The shafts are collapsible so you just compress them bolt to the firewall. Do inside the cab then the steering box. Easy peasy.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I had the power steering gear box out then I should just be able to pull it straight out without cutting it.

·
BANNED by Kris
6,317 Posts
Sorry, I didn't mean that you would need to cut the old one out. The Borgeson brand steering shaft is pre designed for a 4" body lifted truck. When you get it you lay the old one next to the new one at full extension and make a mark on the new shaft and then fully collapse both of them and make a mark on the new shaft. Note the difference between the two and cut the excess from the new shaft off so it will fit back in the truck correctly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts