Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have to change the oil tomorrow and picked up the oil and filter today and it was just over $81.00, a bit to much for my liking. So I was wondering... I work at a John Deere dealer and they have 15w-40 oil and oil filters for every make and model vehicle and I am thinking about going that route next time. Would I be ok? I use Motorcraft now.

Thanks guys,

AJ

·
Registered
222 Posts
should be fine

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
what oil and filter are you buying? I use Rotella 15W-40 from sams club, and a Pure ONE Purolator filter, and it costs me $43.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
i used to run john deere filters on my 7.3 never had any problems cant remember the part number tho. as far as oil goes id say it would be fine

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what oil and filter are you buying? I use Rotella 15W-40 from sams club, and a Pure ONE Purolator filter, and it costs me $43.
I buy Motorcraft just because I like to keep it everything the same as factory.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I also use the Purolator Pure ONE filter. Supposed to be one of the best filters out there

·
Registered
68 Posts
I work for JD too but in Eastern Pa and when I had my '97 7.3 I used PLUS 50 15W-40 and Motorcraft or Baldwin oil filters. How many JD bottom ends have you seen lost from poor oil? - probably none. Only poor maintenance or contamination, so PLUS 50 is fine.

·
Desert Shield/Storm Vet
9,092 Posts
I would just make sure it has the anti foaming additives for the heui system on the powerstroke and you should be fine:thumb:

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
I am sure the oil will be fine too, if its SAE rated for diesel I am sure you will be fine. Price would be my biggest question. If its cheaper then yeah I would run it.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I buy Motorcraft just because I like to keep it everything the same as factory.
Walmart has motorcraft oils in stock now, was like $11-12 per 5 quart jug, saw it yesterday.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I go to Prompto and get an oil,lube,filter for 67.50 ! It just went up $22.00 as I got tired
of going to dealership and paying $100 for same thing.I asked them if they could do anything one there price and they said no so I said no business.I have been doing this for over a year.Price has allow me to drop down to three thousand mile intervals instead of five thousand mile oil changes. I don't bother doing yourself as I done that for many
years when health was much better.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
:thumb:thats cool that you found a place to do it cheaper for you but it wont hurt your truck at all to run it on 5K intervals, youd be able to save even more money.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
I also use the Purolator Pure ONE filter. Supposed to be one of the best filters out there
LOL i almost fell out of the chair i was laughing so hard. I worked at advance auto parts and you would never believe the recalls/ complaints about the purolator brand filters.

·
Ole White
5,253 Posts
Very interesting this is the 1st time I've heard anyone talk about using John Deere stuff thats all I've ever put in my truck I use the JD Filter and JD Plus 50 Oil and haven't had any problems seems to be great oil we run it in all our equipment at are rental stores also

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
LOL i almost fell out of the chair i was laughing so hard. I worked at advance auto parts and you would never believe the recalls/ complaints about the purolator brand filters.
hes right man i worked at advanced as well for a part time job while i was in college and the purolator brand sucks big balls. not tellin you what to do or anything but you might want to go with a different brand filter next time....

·
Lubrication Addict
236 Posts
MHO: Ya can't go wrong with with the simple MC-Wix-Baldwin. 2 of the best spin-on filters in my opinion is the Amsoils EaO line and Fleetguard Stratapore.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts