Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks Im back in the 6.0 game after buying back my old 6.0 from my pops. Im going through and servicing everything and am on to oil selection. Id always ran T6 5-40 in it and told my father to continue to use that. However I now work at a Deere dealership and get parts at cost. We carry Plus 50-2 oil. Is there any risk of running one that is ck-4 rated but not cj-4? How about the non full syntetic that is rated for both?

·
Registered
480 Posts
As I understand Ford's stance on CK oils, they do not recommend them unless they meet CJ ratings, too. If it were me, I wouldn't run CK only. They suggest that the wear ratings are too high in CK only oils.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
9,421 Posts
Ford testing showed them that the new CK spec wasn't wearing the way Ford wanted to protect the motor. Ford made an statement that even the older motors should not use the CK rated oils. Ford went so far as to distribute an oil listing that shows all the oils that have been determined to meet the requirements of Ford.

Ford CK-4 Statement

Diesel Motor Oils Meeting WSS-M2C171-F1

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok fair enough! looks like I’m sticking with T6

·
Premium Member
3,450 Posts
JD is on a 500 hour service interval and Case-IH is on 600 hours
those are off road rated oils, not your typical walmart juice
even the Rotella is only commercial rated oil -- you would have to step up to Rimula to be on an even field

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is there an updated list? I didn’t see it in the linked one.

Are you saying the JD/ Case oils fall above or below Rotella?

Pretty sure the JD oils are on that list.
JD is on a 500 hour service interval and Case-IH is on 600 hours
those are off road rated oils, not your typical walmart juice
even the Rotella is only commercial rated oil -- you would have to step up to Rimula to be on an even field

·
Premium Member
3,450 Posts
The base oil in the Deere and Case oils are of higher quality than the Rotella -- you would have to step up to Rimula to be equal

Reactions: HeavyAssault
1 - 10 of 10 Posts