Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a job 1 w/auto trans. I understand these have an external filter. Is the filter what I see at the front of the transmission mounted horizontally on the bottom?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw something near the bottom of the bell housing mounted horizontally with two steel(?) lines attached on the drivers side. I assumed that was it but was not sure.

One more question... After searching this forum I have not found a clear consensus on what to use, Mercon LV or SP on my truck. I am going to have a local shop do a flush and fill. He does great work but I am not sure if he is very familiar with my trans so I want to help him out all I can.

·
Administrator
29,111 Posts
SP is discontinued so He will likely use LV

make sure He uses one of those 2 however as they are mixable but it's a picky transmission so don't let Him use a universal unless its Valvoline and the right one at that

now make sure He has a OEM or compatible filter on hand since that was a low production unit

·
Registered
336 Posts
Just be ready for sticker shock too. I had that filter changed a while back and if im thinking right it was around 150 ish.

·
Registered
205 Posts
you can get it on amazon for 80ish. or rock auto as well.

7C3Z-7B155-B / Motorcraft FT-176 is the part number, I had one on my truck. I recently had my local shop install a spin on adapter where the external filter was so he was able to remove the external filter and replace it with a block of aluminum that now accepts a allison spin on filter that costs around $10.

·
Registered
513 Posts
08smoker08, Do you happen to know the thread size on the filter lines? And did they just use adapters to change the lines into something that would fit the new style filter head? If you could post a pic that would be great!!

·
Administrator
29,111 Posts
if it were mine i would find a way to bypass that filter altogether and put the late
08 pan ( or monster Derale pan ) and Fram ( is OEM) filter on there for 100% filtration vs the cooler bypass filtration

but the Allison mod is second best,,, very creative

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I'm surprised nobody has come out with a conversion kit yet, or at least short lines to put in place of the external filter. That would be much easier and cost effective than replacing the line sets. Then could just install those, replace pan, and internal filter. Maybe because this set up was so limited there are not that many out there?

BTW... I noticed my trans fluid has a very rusty look to it. Looks like I may have water in trans. That's just great!! I'm not in a position to replace radiator and rebuild trans at the moment. Thank you IRS! Getting a new trans is out of the question right now. I have no shifting problems at the moment. Maybe it will hold together for a couple of months. I can hope anyway.

·
Administrator
29,111 Posts
Seems doable with out to much hassle ?
but I guess there aren't enough of these types out there to make a kit worthwhile ?

looks like 2 snap to connect fittings and two threaded ?

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
Id change that fluid at minimum. I'm trying to figure out how to load Picts from my phone of the filter on to the forum.

·
Registered
205 Posts
here are the picts

Attachments

·
Registered
513 Posts
Wow, that's really simple, just some brass adapters, Teflon tape and a filter head. If I didn't just change my OEM filter I would have done this! Has to be way easier than re-routing my damn egr coolers...grrr...08smoker08, do you know if that is the filter part number on the picture where it shows the bottom of the filter?? And thank you for getting us those pictures...I want to figure out what the micron rating and flow rate of each filter is and I may plan on doing this...if its as good as or better than the OEM canister style filter... I would think a lot of people with torqshift and a 6.0 would be all over this? Unless they're set up is different than job 1 6.4's?? I am not too knowledgable with the 6.0 beyond basic concepts of the engine....

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
I hae to change my filter soon, its flaking from rust, That allison filter setup is a great idea, how many miles do you have on that setup?

·
Administrator
29,111 Posts
I would think a lot of people with torqshift and a 6.0 would be all over this? Unless they're set up is different than job 1 6.4's??
6.0's use a remote canister
that is near the radiator and is a bypass filter so just like the bastard bell housing one you have it's not ideal but cheaper and easy to change

I would find a few adapters to bypass that setup

and just go with the vastly improved pan filtration that filters all fluid 100% of the time

·
Registered
513 Posts
Zmann, who offers the pan filtration system? I have never heard of that set up...

·
Registered
336 Posts
08smoker08 where did you get the adapter plate that fits our lines for that allison filter.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Wagler performance. Odon IN. Jeremy Wagler is the owner and machinist. Call him up and get one for about $100. One filter change and it almost pays for itself. (812) 486-9360
Make sure and leave a message.

He's a super busy dude. I was the secOnd one he installed one on.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts