Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
My solution:
I installed a switch on the cooling fan that will ground and start it when I wanted. That way I could keep the fan on even after the the water temp has cooled. I can also see a grade, know it will get hot, and turn the fan on before the sensors do and keep everything in the 200-210 region regardless of the grade or hills. Works well for me.
Hmmm I like this idea. If I could just run the fan whenever I wanted, I could keep it nice and cool.....(It seems to do it's job when it decides to run)

I also should see if my edge can give me coolant temp. I don't recall that as an option. I am only watching oil and tranny temp.

·
Registered
569 Posts
He’s referring to a fan clutch on a 6.0 which is electronically controlled. There’s no way to control the fan clutch with a switch on a 7.3. Also you are correct, although the 7.3s do have a coolant temp sensor, there’s no way to view it through the OBD2 port, oddly enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,453 Posts
Hmmm I like this idea. If I could just run the fan whenever I wanted, I could keep it nice and cool.....(It seems to do it's job when it decides to run)

I also should see if my edge can give me coolant temp. I don't recall that as an option. I am only watching oil and tranny temp.

The coolant temp reading on the edge for a 99-03 7.3l is a calculation based on oil temps. The 7.3l doesn't have a true coolant sensor with the ability for a metered readout like oil temp. You would have to buy/instal after aftermarket temp probe (available from edge). Im noe 100% sure how it really works on the 7.3l but the obdII coolant readout is a calculation the ecm creates what it thinks the coolant temp is based on engine oil temp and a couple other factors. (again not 100% sure) but its not a reliable oem coolant readout at all without an aftermarket coolant temp kit.

You could install an aftermarket fan with a switch. available almost anywhere online but need to find your clearence and measure everything for the right size and flow etc.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
He’s referring to a fan clutch on a 6.0 which is electronically controlled. There’s no way to control the fan clutch with a switch on a 7.3. Also you are correct, although the 7.3s do have a coolant temp sensor, there’s no way to view it through the OBD2 port, oddly enough

Good call. Thank you for pointing that out.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I noticed a very small crack in my 350,000 radiator, so I ordered one from 1 A auto. It came dented, so I sent it back

I ordered the Mishimoto factory replacement radiator with the plastic tanks and it came with a huge chunk of the plastic tank broken off.

Any suggestions on other options?

My truck did NOT have the trans cooler integrated in the bottom of the radiator, so it would be nice to find one that doesn’t have it. All replacement ones I can find do have it

41 - 45 of 45 Posts